Can't decide whether to do Physics A-level or not

Watch
elly17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm stuck as to whether or not i should do physics for a-level. i find the specification super interesting but the physics teachers at my school aren't really that good. would you guys say that physics is an easy subject to learn by yourself from a textbook/online or is having a good teacher 100% necessary? thank you!!
Always_Confused
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I've studied physics up to Master's level.
A-level physics can be challenging and so being able to follow in both the classroom and then supplement that with at home study is important for getting high grades. So if your teachers aren't great, but you take solid notes in class and then make your notes better with text book studying, you should succeed.
Can I ask why the physics teacher's aren't good? If they ever teach something in a confusing way, ask them to explain it in a different way. There are ways around 'bad teaching' but I know it can make the lessons boring and can encourage students not to engage too well with the content.
Physics is a very interesting subject though. Looking past the difficulty, it can be very fun and has excellent career progression.
Do you have an idea of what you would like to do after college? If it's nothing to do with physics, putting up with lessons you don't engage with might not be worth it. If you're considering anything chemistry or maths based at uni, physics would help and be worth studying! Obvs you need physics to study physics
elly17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Always_Confused)
Hello! I've studied physics up to Master's level.
A-level physics can be challenging and so being able to follow in both the classroom and then supplement that with at home study is important for getting high grades. So if your teachers aren't great, but you take solid notes in class and then make your notes better with text book studying, you should succeed.
Can I ask why the physics teacher's aren't good? If they ever teach something in a confusing way, ask them to explain it in a different way. There are ways around 'bad teaching' but I know it can make the lessons boring and can encourage students not to engage too well with the content.
Physics is a very interesting subject though. Looking past the difficulty, it can be very fun and has excellent career progression.
Do you have an idea of what you would like to do after college? If it's nothing to do with physics, putting up with lessons you don't engage with might not be worth it. If you're considering anything chemistry or maths based at uni, physics would help and be worth studying! Obvs you need physics to study physics
hi! thanks for your advice
the physics teachers can't explain topics well and generally make the lesson confusing and boring - they struggled teaching GCSE concepts so i don't know how they'll fare at A-level. i also don't think some of them are properly qualified and they forget to teach us things - they missed out a whole topic that was on an exam.
i honestly don't have a clue what i want to do at uni but physics would probably be quite useful for a few paths that i'm debating between.
i think i'll likely end up doing physics since i really do enjoy it. thanks!
BluePanda02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I’m doing physics A level right now and I would definitely recommend it!
Physics is quite a challenging subject but teaching yourself the content is definitely possible especially if you enjoy it.
As well as notes, I’d recommend doing lots of practice questions, especially when revising and watching a youtube video if you get stuck on any specific content.
I found isaacphysics.org (maths and physics problem solving) and physicsandmathstutor.com (physics notes for the specification and exam questions and mark schemes) really useful.
Good luck!
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with what everyone else has said as well. I just finished year 12 physics and I love it! Although some concept are challenging it is definitely possible.
Practice questions help a lot.

You don't need a very good teacher to do well in the end it comes down to what you do. One of my teachers isn't the best and due to lockdown I have had to teach myself the electricity topic with no guidance. It was hard but definitely possible. I made notes from a lot of sources (textbooks, physics and maths tutor, other online websites), condensed them, watched videos on things I didn't understand and did a lot of practice questions. So even if they are bad you can still do it!!
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Physics is really sad at A level and bad teachers make it even worse. If you want to do physics at university then do further maths instead, physics is not a required subject for any physics course because universities know that it's completely unrepresentative of them.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A-level physics is a bit of a mess and does quite a bad job of inspiring people to carry on with it. Take it if you want to study something that requires it and you think you can do well in it.

(Original post by Meowstic)
If you want to do physics at university then do further maths instead, physics is not a required subject for any physics course because universities know that it's completely unrepresentative of them.
?? It's definitely a required subject. Cambridge NatSci is the exception in not requiring it
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
A-level physics is a bit of a mess and does quite a bad job of inspiring people to carry on with it. Take it if you want to study something that requires it and you think you can do well in it.

?? It's definitely a required subject. Cambridge NatSci is the exception in not requiring it
Oh my bad I was sure I'd seen more where maths mechanics was an acceptable replacement, maybe I'm just projecting because I can't stand how awful that course is
Last edited by username3331778; 1 month ago
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also if you take physics make sure you take maths.. you probably have already planned that but there are some people I know who take physics without maths and I don't know what they're thinking but yeah.

Also maths or stem related courses at uni like people who do further maths as its closer to uni level maths and it will make admissions tests and STEP easier. (although they're still challenging, you will be used to harder concepts)

And further maths makes normal maths a level seem much easier and physics topics overlap so if you're good at maths consider taking further maths but of course its not essential.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
23.53%
Less motivated (104)
76.47%

Watched Threads