The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do after college

Hey!

So I’m about to go into my second year of college (year 13) and am not sure what to do when I finish.

I’ve always loved to go to uni and my passion lies with tourism and event management. I’ve looked into studying these and fell in love with a couple of courses.

However, speaking to some people on here, they’ve told me that it’s pointless.

Any ideas what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Hey!

So I’m about to go into my second year of college (year 13) and am not sure what to do when I finish.

I’ve always loved to go to uni and my passion lies with tourism and event management. I’ve looked into studying these and fell in love with a couple of courses.

However, speaking to some people on here, they’ve told me that it’s pointless.

Any ideas what I should do?

If that's what you've always wanted to do then I would look at getting your ucas started, they wouldn't necessarily direct get you a job but you can get experience to help whilst you're at uni
I saw that you should always follow your dreams! (Cheesy I know)
Don't be discouraged by people on here who think that the only worthy degrees are law and medicine!
Society needs people who study event management and tourism, otherwise universities wouldn't offer the course.
The only thing I would say is that you're unlikely to get a very high paying job and become rich, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it!
Original post by claireestelle
If that's what you've always wanted to do then I would look at getting your ucas started, they wouldn't necessarily direct get you a job but you can get experience to help whilst you're at uni

Hey! Yes, I’ve already set up my UCAS! :smile:
Original post by chloenix
I saw that you should always follow your dreams! (Cheesy I know)
Don't be discouraged by people on here who think that the only worthy degrees are law and medicine!
Society needs people who study event management and tourism, otherwise universities wouldn't offer the course.
The only thing I would say is that you're unlikely to get a very high paying job and become rich, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it!

Hey!

Yeah, that really doesn’t bother me! Plus the courses I’m looking at are business orientated anyways, so I will get lots of different skills from them (customer service, management etc)!
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Hey!

Yeah, that really doesn’t bother me! Plus the courses I’m looking at are business orientated anyways, so I will get lots of different skills from them (customer service, management etc)!

Yes exactly! I think that going into tourism and events management is such a diverse path, and no two jobs will be the same which is why it's so cool!
Original post by chloenix
Yes exactly! I think that going into tourism and events management is such a diverse path, and no two jobs will be the same which is why it's so cool!

Exactly! It’s something I’m incredibly passionate about, I love it! There are so so many different opportunities and the courses I like offer full placement years to help me :smile:
Have you considered an apprenticeship it sounds like your chosen degree would benefit from you getting a foot in the workplace
Original post by josie71202
Have you considered an apprenticeship it sounds like your chosen degree would benefit from you getting a foot in the workplace

There are very little apprenticeships in my interested fields. Especially where I live haha!
Reply 9
Do you think that university is really worth it like think about you have a college diploma
Original post by H.B.K
Do you think that university is really worth it like think about you have a college diploma

Not quite sure what you mean?
Reply 11
I mean like do you feel like you really want a university degree
Original post by H.B.K
I mean like do you feel like you really want a university degree

a degree will boost my opportunities and experience so I think it would be beneficial. yes, it isn’t necessary but it is a stepping stone which could boost my opportunities.
Reply 13
May I ask what degree you are looking for
Original post by H.B.K
May I ask what degree you are looking for

International Tourism (and hospitality) Management, Events Management and Business with Tourism.
Reply 15
Wow that's a great degree I did my work experience in hospitality I worked at jury's Inn I got in touch with high business classes people I got given the opportunity to serve them food and have a great chat with them in the world of business and hospitality I think u getting that degree will be so beneficial
Original post by H.B.K
Wow that's a great degree I did my work experience in hospitality I worked at jury's Inn I got in touch with high business classes people I got given the opportunity to serve them food and have a great chat with them in the world of business and hospitality I think u getting that degree will be so beneficial

Wow! That’s amazing!

Yes, I agree. I love my area of study so I know I would love the degree as well :smile:
Reply 17
So like you are a friendly and approachable person
Original post by H.B.K
So like you are a friendly and approachable person

I’ve worked in customer service since I was 15 so I’d like to think so haha
Reply 19
I also worked in customer services when I 4 I always got told to sell the goods in my aunties store only because I was top of the class 😭😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending