advice for revising for english lit and english language GCSE in the Uk?

Watch
tracyyyyyyxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
advice for revising for english lit and english language GCSE in the Uk?

i am struggling........ with poems and annotating
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’re particularly struggling with poetry: what I used to do was get up a list on the internet of all the literary and poetic techniques, then to through each poem and look for the techniques, highlight them and then think about why the writer might have used that technique and what effect it has on the mood of the poem. Once I’d done this, I’d take a flash card and try and condense all of the information onto one flash card in as few words as possible so that it’s easier to remember. I’d do this for every poem, then memorise the flash cards. Hope this helped
oknice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
deeks mr bruff on youtube!!!!!!!!! A*
MusicalMe101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I just finished year 11 and got 8s in both lit and lang throughout the 2 years.
I can share how I revised for them.

English lit: for revising characters I made flashcards with techniques and quotes, then I linked them to different themes. After I had gotten used to the structure for answering questions I made sure to do lots of practise questions on different characters and themes. For revising poems I made a table in which I wrote out different themes and split the techniques (sound, sight etc.) used in the poems, and then I made a separate table in which I wrote out the themes, then listed the poems that used each theme and could be used together for the comparison question. I found practise questions very helpful, especially for the unseen poetry so that you are able to incorporate all your knowledge and the information you want to include in your answer in the time given.

English lang: I made sure I knew how to use the structure for answering each question (how many paragraphs and what each one should include to receive all the marks available for the question) and practised doing descriptive and narrative writing as well as writing for different audiences. I cannot stress how important it is to do past papers, especially timed ones as your exams get nearer as it is often a couple of minutes that can change your grade. This is also a suggestion, but when doing a practise paper try to do section B on it first, and then completing section A, this doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me and helped me collect as many marks as possible.

I hope this helps!
If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them and help as much as I can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads