The Student Room Group

ukfpo eligibility application eeu medical student

Hi, I referred to the eligibility application guidance. However, im struggling to find information about whether I need to take IELTS /OET as a British citizen who underwent undergraduate training in eeu in order to be eligible for 2 year ukfp.
TBH, i and prob others, dont want to guess this answer or give you misleading information. I think you are best emailing UKFPO to be sure.
If your medical school can confirm that your medical education was conducted solely in English, and more than 75% of your patient contact was in English, then you don't need to take language exams (unless theyre on a 'blacklist' in which case the UKFPO won't accept their evidence - https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/join-the-register/before-you-apply/evidence-of-your-knowledge-of-english/using-your-primary-medical-qualification). My understanding is that your passport/citizenship has no bearing on your language profiency.

The language requirements are stated quite clearly on the Dean's statement and the eligibility guidance, suggest you read those.
Original post by keizenbergburch
If your medical school can confirm that your medical education was conducted solely in English, and more than 75% of your patient contact was in English, then you don't need to take language exams (unless theyre on a 'blacklist' in which case the UKFPO won't accept their evidence - https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/join-the-register/before-you-apply/evidence-of-your-knowledge-of-english/using-your-primary-medical-qualification). My understanding is that your passport/citizenship has no bearing on your language profiency.

The language requirements are stated quite clearly on the Dean's statement and the eligibility guidance, suggest you read those.

I second this. For some universities you need it and some you don't. I saw on their webinar the question of what happens if your university appears on the list before they close the window and they said " if at the point your application was checked and the university wasn't on the list you would still be deemed eligible even if it appeared later". Another question that was asked was if others submitting English language proficiency from your year group would affect your application and they said no it wouldn't. I asked the GMC what the process was for updating that blacklist and they said they have to write to the university and ask for evidence that your course is in English and I guess they deduce from that whether to add it onto the list (basically it's a process and I guess it could take a number of weeks). So I guess just get your eligibility application is ASAP.

There is a caveat - you will still need IELTS/OET for GMC reg.
Original post by Laks1985
I second this. For some universities you need it and some you don't. I saw on their webinar the question of what happens if your university appears on the list before they close the window and they said " if at the point your application was checked and the university wasn't on the list you would still be deemed eligible even if it appeared later". Another question that was asked was if others submitting English language proficiency from your year group would affect your application and they said no it wouldn't. I asked the GMC what the process was for updating that blacklist and they said they have to write to the university and ask for evidence that your course is in English and I guess they deduce from that whether to add it onto the list (basically it's a process and I guess it could take a number of weeks). So I guess just get your eligibility application is ASAP.

There is a caveat - you will still need IELTS/OET for GMC reg.

You don't need to take language exams for GMC registration if you can use your primary medical qualification as proof of language proficiency, details can be found on the GMC website. Basically if your university can draft a letter for you, stating that 100% of the coursework and >75% of pt contact were in English, you are exempt (basically the same requirements as the UKFPO but they have to specifically draft a letter for the GMC, which they'll verifiy).

For non-eu students, passing IELTS/OET is a requirement before we can book PLAB1, but I got exempt because my school was kind enough to draft the letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending