IGCSE German/Languages revision techniques

Watch
n05y15
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What would you say is the best way to revise for languages? I’m hoping to get an 8 or a 9
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
- Flashcards for vocab (Quizlet / Anki / physical flash cards)

- Completing grammar exercises (bonus: create a set of grammar flashcards based on your specific mistakes so you can review them)

- Watch TV / videos in German (with German subtitles). At GCSE level, I found it best to watch a movie I already knew the plot of, and preferably a kids movie (Disney's good at they always have dubbed over translations). Pause and take notes of useful vocabulary.

- Using a site like Wordreference rather than Google Translate for individual words, as it gives you a sentence in context and other useful info

- Reading articles in the language. Best for me was to do one blind reading without a dictionary, and then try to summarise what I had understood. Then, reread using Wordreference for unfamiliar words and see what parts of my summary were correct and if there was anything I'd misunderstood

- Talking to your friends in German. Obviously depends on the willingness of your friends, but I had a group of friends who were also keen on doing well and so we had one lunchtime every week where we tried to stick to French as much as possible

Especially for languages, doing a bit everyday is so so much better than doing 2-3 hours once a week. I used to look at flashcards on the bus to and from school, which helped.
n05y15
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
- Flashcards for vocab (Quizlet / Anki / physical flash cards)

- Completing grammar exercises (bonus: create a set of grammar flashcards based on your specific mistakes so you can review them)

- Watch TV / videos in German (with German subtitles). At GCSE level, I found it best to watch a movie I already knew the plot of, and preferably a kids movie (Disney's good at they always have dubbed over translations). Pause and take notes of useful vocabulary.

- Using a site like Wordreference rather than Google Translate for individual words, as it gives you a sentence in context and other useful info

- Reading articles in the language. Best for me was to do one blind reading without a dictionary, and then try to summarise what I had understood. Then, reread using Wordreference for unfamiliar words and see what parts of my summary were correct and if there was anything I'd misunderstood

- Talking to your friends in German. Obviously depends on the willingness of your friends, but I had a group of friends who were also keen on doing well and so we had one lunchtime every week where we tried to stick to French as much as possible

Especially for languages, doing a bit everyday is so so much better than doing 2-3 hours once a week. I used to look at flashcards on the bus to and from school, which helped.
Thanks a lot. You’ve given me a lot of ideas
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads