ahall1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
To whom this may concern at SFE,

I am a UK citizen whose family are also UK citizens. I am 23 and spent most of my life in the UK (from birth to 18). From August 2015-2019 I undertook undergraduate study in the United States, returning to the UK usually twice a year (for multiple weeks/in some cases months). Upon graduation in 2019, I began the student-work program (OPT) under the student visa. I planned to return to the UK when this time ran out (in June 2020) but due to the covid-19 pandemic (my mother is 'vulnerable' and shielding due to a recent kidney transplant and previous cancer diagnosis; travelling in NYC to other countries during this time is also extremely dangerous for the traveller) I was unable to return and my boss kindly sponsored me to stay an extra year to work. Thus, I transitioned from a student visa to a work visa in June 2020 and am planning to leave June 2021. I have been accepted into universities for the master's courses, originally for September 2020, but deferred to September 2021 because of my circumstances preventing me from coming into the UK. My question is, will I be eligible for the master's loan?

Best,

A
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ahall1)
To whom this may concern at SFE,

I am a UK citizen whose family are also UK citizens. I am 23 and spent most of my life in the UK (from birth to 18). From August 2015-2019 I undertook undergraduate study in the United States, returning to the UK usually twice a year (for multiple weeks/in some cases months). Upon graduation in 2019, I began the student-work program (OPT) under the student visa. I planned to return to the UK when this time ran out (in June 2020) but due to the covid-19 pandemic (my mother is 'vulnerable' and shielding due to a recent kidney transplant and previous cancer diagnosis; travelling in NYC to other countries during this time is also extremely dangerous for the traveller) I was unable to return and my boss kindly sponsored me to stay an extra year to work. Thus, I transitioned from a student visa to a work visa in June 2020 and am planning to leave June 2021. I have been accepted into universities for the master's courses, originally for September 2020, but deferred to September 2021 because of my circumstances preventing me from coming into the UK. My question is, will I be eligible for the master's loan?

Best,

A
Hi, if you have never studied at masters level before then you will be able to apply for a postgraduate loan only if you can prove your time outside the UK was temporary.
Thanks, Isaac
ahall1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if you have never studied at masters level before then you will be able to apply for a postgraduate loan only if you can prove your time outside the UK was temporary.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks -- How would I prove that? Does the fact that I am a UK citizen with family in the UK support that (and maybe documentation of my visits back home)? Further, if I was able to show that the visa I'm currently on is only valid whilst I am working (and would expire as I left the USA and stopped working) would that suffice?

Best,

Aimee
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ahall1)
Thanks -- How would I prove that? Does the fact that I am a UK citizen with family in the UK support that (and maybe documentation of my visits back home)? Further, if I was able to show that the visa I'm currently on is only valid whilst I am working (and would expire as I left the USA and stopped working) would that suffice?

Best,

Aimee
We can accept evidence such as, return flight tickets, letter from employer confirming you are there temporarily, temporary visa, proof you still have ties to the UK and any other evidence you can think of that proves you were outside the UK temporarily.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
16.02%
I'm not sure (8)
3.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (92)
35.94%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (111)
43.36%

Watched Threads