The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Anyone going to Glasgow for open days?

Next week our school are taking 47 of us to "the mainland" to go to open days at Glasgow University, Glasgow Caledonian University, and Strathclyde University. Some people are getting a train to Edinburgh to see round the uni's there instead of going to Glasgow Cally.

Anyone going to any of these open days??

What do you actually get to do at open days?

We have to travel for 9 hours to get there. Hope it's worth it! xD

We do get free time after 4pm though, and there are actual shops in Glasgow, so that will be a wee change xD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to the last glasgow open day.

Basically there are just various tables set up, for subjects in one hall and for clubs, unions, extra curricular stuff outside/in another hall. Glasgow was good compared to the other open day I have been to so far, manchester, as you are not herded through. There is plenty of time to chat to subject teachers/students and there are tours of the halls.

There also talks on the application process/student life/various subjects.

Going to open days is a good idea and Glasgow is LOVELY.

It scores points for me for having a distinct air of hogwarts about it. Likeness to Hogwarts is of course one of the main criteria I am searching for in a university (I am only half joking).

There is a cool museum with loadsa stuffed things, and a plane. A nice park. River. Botanical gardens. Shops.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Likeness to Hogwarts is like the most important thing!

Thank you =]
I went to the last open day too.
The open day was good. You could see what the place is like.

Also if you're doing Medicine, you learn about its PBL.
Reply 4
I went to the Glasgow open day in June so I don't need to go again, but I think I'm going to the Strathclyde open day on Tuesday the 8th (whichever one out of the Monday/Tuesday that lasts the full day, anyways).

If the English section is in the same place as it was in June, good luck finding it. Me and my five friends spent about 40 minutes wandering in circles (with a map) before realising that to get to it, you had to walk partway through the museum. We eventually got there, though. It had all the modern language subjects there too, if I remember correctly. :woo:

I've never been to Strathclyde before but I have a feeling that's where I'm going to end up applying to, so it should be fun!
Do u HAVE to register for the Glasgow Uni open day? According to online u do, however our school has told us nothing about it?

D
Reply 6
Our schools taking a group of us aswell, should be good :biggrin: a day out of school at the least..
Reply 7
We should all wear something distinctive so that we will recognise fellow student roomers.

Like...

A yellow flower...
Reply 8
haha yeah.. not quite sure about the yellow flower though :rolleyes:
is it the 11th of September your going ? :smile:
Reply 9
I'll be there, either behind the QMU stall or in the union itself. Come check it out. And talk to people, you'll learn SO much more than just reading stuff.
You'll be where? I mentioned more than one! xD

I am travelling down on the 8th(have to get up at 5am, and wont be in till 5ish =[ ) going to Strathclyde and Cally on the 9th, and Glasgow and possibly some university in Edinburgh(dunno which one(s)) on the 10th, and travelling home on the 11th.
Reply 11
KirstyLikeYeah
You'll be where?

Oh sorry, I mean Uni of Glasgow. I presume that's what people mean when they say Glasgow [joke]cos it's the real one...[/joke]
Reply 12
Am going up tomorrow and Tuesday for Cal and Strathclyde. Getting a bus for about 2 hours :frown:, the train came in 15minutes before, not enough time!

On going back up on Tuesday via train to check out some parts.

The school is taking a group up to Glasgow on Wednesday, some are going by themselves, am not going though.

Will only need to get up at 7.30, usual times....
I'm going to the one at Glasgow on the 10th, mainly for the benefit of my Mum who has never seen where ill be studying.
im going to glasgow on wednesday with most of my year group, we only live an hour away so its just a nice little day out for us lol ( and obv we get to find out about the uni etc :smile:)
Reply 15
Just got back from the Cal today.

Sat in the Midwifery (probably spelt it wrong) thing at 11.30 becasue 2 friends were wanting to go and I forgot my phone so it didn't leave them incase we couldn't find each other later. Then wen to the Soltaire Centre to pick up some leaflets for Business. Then left......

Worth the day off school though :smile:
Reply 16
ill be at glasgow on wednesday, hopefully it'll be a nice day! :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Come and say hi, I'll be at the QM in Glasgow Uni, or in Bute Hall. (the big one)
Reply 18
Just back from the Glasgow open day.
Hmm. It seems a pretty decent uni, however I think strathclyde was a lot better organised. They also didn't have very many lectures to attend, like strathclyde did as well as 'stalls'.
Oh well.
Reply 19
I hated Strathclyde, I only went to the law lecture, chemistry and accountancy lectures.

It was too 'brainy' :biggrin: for me! I liked the sound of the Chemistry and forensics course though, too bad I didn't take Chem or another science at higher.

Latest