'Useless' knowledge you've picked up during lockdown

Watch
InspiredPleb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Other much more productive people are discussing that they've covered the whole A Level syllabus, learned several different programming and modern languages etc...

Meanwhile I've spent my time less wisely. I need to know that others are in the same boat

My pointless skill I've finally picked up is the ability to differentiate between different figure skating jumps and spins, after watching the sport for years haha!
Bill V2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have finally found the answer to the question "what does the fox say?"

claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't really learnt anything during lockdown, apart from how to make scrambled egg. I'm a great cook, I just never scrambled an egg before since I don't eat it myself.
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill V2)
I have finally found the answer to the question "what does the fox say?"
It has been revealed. *insert strange sounding laugh sounding like 'eheheehe!*

Thank you that made my day

I flipping love Finnegan. That channel always makes me wish I lived in the US and was good with animals.
Bill V2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by InspiredPleb)
It has been revealed. *insert strange sounding laugh sounding like 'eheheehe!*

Thank you that made my day

I flipping love Finnegan. That channel always makes me wish I lived in the US and was good with animals.
:laugh: me too - I've just been binge watching all of the videos (a very productive use of my time amirite)
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I haven't really learnt anything during lockdown, apart from how to make scrambled egg. I'm a great cook, I just never scrambled an egg before since I don't eat it myself.
Interesting that you haven't tried that before, though neither have I (not surprising in my case as I'm not good at cooking generally)!
Turned out decent?

-also side note thanks for your response a while ago to a question I put on an alt account! The one about RS/CS?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Interesting that you haven't tried that before, though neither have I (not surprising in my case as I'm not good at cooking generally)!
Turned out decent?

-also side note thanks for your response a while ago to a question I put on an alt account! The one about RS/CS?
I just don't like the taste of egg. yes, it turned out decent so much so I made it for mrclaireestelle for lunch 4 days in a row. Glad to help
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found out marinated chicken and meat taste better and that Nando peri peri sauce is a god send :lol:
Last edited by TheStarboy; 1 month ago
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can watch over 1000 episodes of streaming / tv programmes in 3 months
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
I found out marinated chicken and meat taste better and that Nando peri peri sauce is a god send :lol:
Disappointed... should be common sense. But who am I to talk?
Better you finding out now than never!

(was about to say PRSOM but the people of TSR delivered!)
Last edited by InspiredPleb; 1 month ago
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also learned that yoghurt and oil can be used as a substitute for butter in baking
harleyh4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I learned the phonetic alphabet after an awkward moment whilst on the phone with my bank. Maybe it will be useful again in another decade or so.
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
you can watch over 1000 episodes of streaming / tv programmes in 3 months
Could be documentaries? If so that's vaguely useful?
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disappointed... should be common sense. But who am I to talk?
Better you finding out now than never!

(was about to say PRSOM but the people of TSR delivered!)
I’m sorry for disrespecting my taste buds
True. Better than now then never Now cooking meat and chicken has never been easier and better.

(Perfect for treating myself or a future date )
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could be documentaries? If so that's vaguely useful?
try 366 episodes gintama, 300+ etrugrul, anime bucketlist, netflix sports docs, cooking shows
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sweet mangoes are surprisingly good with chicken and eat dishes.
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
try 366 episodes gintama, 300+ etrugrul, anime bucketlist, netflix sports docs, cooking shows
I stand corrected but can't pretend I've been more productive!

Might as well take up your time and ask you a question while you're here - should I get into Gintama? Told it's great for a laugh and it's consistent in quality but the beginning is apparently a bit slow. Have read/watched some shonen so the amount of episodes shouldn't put me off
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I stand corrected but can't pretend I've been more productive!

Might as well take up your time and ask you a question while you're here - should I get into Gintama? Told it's great for a laugh and it's consistent in quality but the beginning is apparently a bit slow. Have read/watched some shonen so the amount of episodes shouldn't put me off
if you like shounen, gintama is a must. the comedy blows saiki k out of the water is reminds me of the boondocks s1-s3, samurai champloo and late 00s / early 2010s southpark. season 1 does drag on but it does set up the rest of the series well. (ive made a viewing list so you know what episodes to skip in 1st season). s1 is mainly self-contained episodes but s2 is when you start getting some comedy and serious arcs.

the serious arcs in gintama are amazing and are better than one piece, bleach, naruto, dragonball etc (my top 5 arcs are all after episode 210).

generally id say its 70% comedy, 30% drama. it executes both extremely well most fo the time. the japanese voice cast fits it so well and you can tell the voice cast enjoy themselves. It is also loaded with a lot of parodies with dbz, one piece, naruto, bleach, jojo, fist of the north star, evangelion and gundam being its most frequent victims

but yeah, if you like shounen and seinen anime, gintama is a must. just be aware that the 1st 2 episodes are rather unusually filler episodes and can be missed. also s1 keeps starting with recaps that can be missed.
InspiredPleb
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
if you like shounen, gintama is a must. the comedy blows saiki k out of the water is reminds me of the boondocks s1-s3, samurai champloo and late 00s / early 2010s southpark. season 1 does drag on but it does set up the rest of the series well. (ive made a viewing list so you know what episodes to skip in 1st season). s1 is mainly self-contained episodes but s2 is when you start getting some comedy and serious arcs.

the serious arcs in gintama are amazing and are better than one piece, bleach, naruto, dragonball etc (my top 5 arcs are all after episode 210).

generally id say its 70% comedy, 30% drama. it executes both extremely well most fo the time. the japanese voice cast fits it so well and you can tell the voice cast enjoy themselves. It is also loaded with a lot of parodies with dbz, one piece, naruto, bleach, jojo, fist of the north star, evangelion and gundam being its most frequent victims

but yeah, if you like shounen and seinen anime, gintama is a must. just be aware that the 1st 2 episodes are rather unusually filler episodes and can be missed. also s1 keeps starting with recaps that can be missed.
Thanks for all of that! Considering what it reminds you of, it really sounds like my thing.

Impressed by what you said about the serious arcs. Only watched some earlier Naruto / Dragonball Z episodes and fell off the 'hype train', but better than One Piece? Intrigued.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for all of that! Considering what it reminds you of, it really sounds like my thing.

Impressed by what you said about the serious arcs. Only watched some earlier Naruto / Dragonball Z episodes and fell off the 'hype train', but better than One Piece? Intrigued.
gintama is 1 of those weird series where it gets better as it goes on. the reason I rate 210 onwards in my top arcs for the series as the plot becomes more structured, whereas it is semi-self contained episodes or arcs for a lot of it. but yeah, you have to endure the logn 1st season (50 episodes in total but you can watch 30 episodes as a lot is crap).
Last edited by quasa; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
20.92%
Less motivated (121)
79.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise