The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2020-2021

Welcome...

...to the Modern Languages Applicants page, for those entering any university in September/October 2021. This page is for anyone wishing to apply to a languages course, whether you're choosing a single language or a joint honours degree!

Here you can share your A level experiences, find people applying to the same university, or the same course as you, and ask questions.

Let's start by listing our subject choices and university choices :smile:

Spoiler

Let's keep this thread going! :woo:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm applying for French and Linguistics at Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick, Sheffield and Liverpool. Still undecided whether to swap Liverpool for Oxford.

What are you planning as putting as your insurance if you get into Oxford?
Reply 2
Original post by JackDarley03
Hey, I'm applying for French and Linguistics at Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick, Sheffield and Liverpool. Still undecided whether to swap Liverpool for Oxford.

What are you planning as putting as your insurance if you get into Oxford?

Oh awesome, subject snap!! My insurance will most likely be York, but as there haven’t been any real open days this year I’ll go to all of my offer holders days before deciding completely. Good luck, especially if you’re also applying to Oxford :smile:
Original post by Culver
Oh awesome, subject snap!! My insurance will most likely be York, but as there haven’t been any real open days this year I’ll go to all of my offer holders days before deciding completely. Good luck, especially if you’re also applying to Oxford :smile:

Subject snap indeed. Sorry, I took so long to reply. I think you should really consider Lancaster as an insurance, very underrated university imo and it seems as though they have some of the best research for Linguistics. But yeah, you're right, we've had no open days and everything has been online. Good luck to you too though.
Reply 4
Subject snap indeed. Sorry, I took so long to reply. I think you should really consider Lancaster as an insurance, very underrated university imo and it seems as though they have some of the best research for Linguistics. But yeah, you're right, we've had no open days and everything has been online. Good luck to you too though.

No worries! Yeah, I’ve had a good look at Lancaster and their research is truly amazing. However, it’s a very long way from where I live, and I’m slightly reluctant to live that far away at the moment. Have you decided whether to apply to Oxford or not in the end? If so, what college?
Original post by Culver
No worries! Yeah, I’ve had a good look at Lancaster and their research is truly amazing. However, it’s a very long way from where I live, and I’m slightly reluctant to live that far away at the moment. Have you decided whether to apply to Oxford or not in the end? If so, what college?

Yeah, fair enough. Honestly I’m still 50/50 about Oxford. I’m gonna have a few chats with some of my teachers on Monday and hopefully come to a decision Monday night. If I do apply, I’ll probably apply to Hertford college. Wbu?
Reply 6
Yeah, fair enough. Honestly I’m still 50/50 about Oxford. I’m gonna have a few chats with some of my teachers on Monday and hopefully come to a decision Monday night. If I do apply, I’ll probably apply to Hertford college. Wbu?

That’s cool, good luck! I thought about Hertford for a while but I’m now between Oriel and Brasenose. Oriel has really beautiful accommodation and I love where it’s situated, but the atmosphere at Brasenose is also really great so I’m a bit stuck haha
Hiya I'm applying for German and beginner's Spanish at Bristol, Sheffield, Cambridge, Manchester and Leeds. Frustrated that we couldn't visit the unis in person this year so it all depended how the virtual open days went! Not 100% set on my choices so feel free to suggest good unis for modern languages!
Reply 8
Original post by Peaches267
Hiya I'm applying for German and beginner's Spanish at Bristol, Sheffield, Cambridge, Manchester and Leeds. Frustrated that we couldn't visit the unis in person this year so it all depended how the virtual open days went! Not 100% set on my choices so feel free to suggest good unis for modern languages!

Hi, I'm currently a languages student at Manchester and would be willing to try and answer any questions you had. :smile:
Hi, all - My son is an American student applying for Japanese & Linguistics to Edinburgh, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle...and narrowing down the final slot as we speak. Hoping to get UCAS submitted soon, despite not being an Oxbridge applicant. These boards have been super helpful, since the UCAS system is so different than Common App in the States.
Original post by r.dd
Hi, I'm currently a languages student at Manchester and would be willing to try and answer any questions you had. :smile:

Hi! Is there lots of variety in the modules you choose? How's the accommodation? Do you feel well supported in your course/what's the student:teacher ratio like? What's the city/nightlife like? How do the end of year examinations look? You can add anything else you think is important to know/wish you'd known before going! Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by cleveland71
Hi, all - My son is an American student applying for Japanese & Linguistics to Edinburgh, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle...and narrowing down the final slot as we speak. Hoping to get UCAS submitted soon, despite not being an Oxbridge applicant. These boards have been super helpful, since the UCAS system is so different than Common App in the States.

I would give some consideration to this option, Cleveland.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/
Original post by Kerzen
I would give some consideration to this option, Cleveland.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/

Thank you! Do you have any opinion on Leeds? I think SOAS and Leeds may be the final two for that last slot. Initially, he was barely considering English schools because of the American exam requirements, but since many exams remain cancelled, maybe it’s worth a shot. American universities are being a little more flexible this year...hope the UK will follow suit! (For what it’s worth, he’s got great qualifications In grades and courseload...but his upcoming subject tests have been cancelled where we live because of Covid.)
Applying deffered entry for a range of courses (still unsure about my final two choices): Arabic studies (with spanish) at cambridge, Japanese and Korean at SOAS, and a three language course at newcastle (which 1, im unsure what levels are expected or our choice of languages, and 2, im unsure what Languages I want to select.) any advice would be appreicated! I am currently doing spanish, scoiology and photography, but I'm going to attempt to do the japanese a level as a private candidate as well.
I'm applying for French and beginners Italian at UCL, Bristol and Exeter, French and beginners Spanish at KCL and French Studies at ULIP :smile: Let me know if you're applying for any of the same unis!
Hi! I'm applying for French and Beginner's Chinese
Unis: Manchester, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle

I'm really stuck between Birmingham, Newcastle, and Leeds for my 4th and 5th UCAS options at the moment- if anyone has any comments about those unis if they're also looking at them? My gut is to scrap Newcastle because of the lower offers, and when I was considering English and French, I wasn't considering it at all, but I'm still not sure. Would love to hear people's opinions!
Original post by marianne:)
Hi! I'm applying for French and Beginner's Chinese
Unis: Manchester, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle

I'm really stuck between Birmingham, Newcastle, and Leeds for my 4th and 5th UCAS options at the moment- if anyone has any comments about those unis if they're also looking at them? My gut is to scrap Newcastle because of the lower offers, and when I was considering English and French, I wasn't considering it at all, but I'm still not sure. Would love to hear people's opinions!

Hi @marianne [s]smile[/s],

If you have any questions about the course at Birmingham just let me know, I should be able to help. Were there any particular aspects of the programme that interest you? You'll also have the chance to pick up a third language completely from scratch or explore potential careers with a translation pathway or Business management minor.

Hope this helps!

Molly :biggrin:
Hi guys - a recent graduate here from The University of Sheffield.

I've just jumped in this thread quickly to highlight our upcoming virtual Languages and Cultures (Spanish) taster session the University is holding, which is titled 'The Spanish and Portuguese Empires and the origins of racism'. Personally, I think this sounds like a really interesting taster session to get involved in, and as it's free, there's nothing to lose! The link to these is here.

These sessions, as well as being really interesting and expanding your subject knowledge, can you give you a really interesting look at University-style teaching and they are a great thing to include in a personal statement or talk about in an interview, as they show you've done your wider research and you're really passionate about your subject.

I can also see some of you guys are applying to Sheffield which is great to see! Let me know if you have anymore questions about University-level teaching or University life at Sheffield in general! And good luck with your applications :smile:
- Ellie
german and russian at oxford, glasgow, edinburgh, nottingham, sheffield :smile:

anyone else doing something like me?
Original post by elsiefloree
Hi, what should I include in a personal statement for modern languages, interpreting and translation? I do spanish, french, art and english lit for A level. Thanks :smile:

any language related work experience/volunteering you've done, literature you've read that you've liked, films that you've seen, etc.

i read that it's better to include things that aren't on the A level curriculum because everyone writes about those

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending