The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2020-2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeadChairSwinger
german and russian at oxford, glasgow, edinburgh, nottingham, sheffield :smile:

anyone else doing something like me?

I studied Chinese and French at Sheffield, had an offer from Oxford (Oriental Studies) but didn't meet the offer. I did some post-A-Level German classes at Sheffield so if you have any questions about life in Sheffield or the School of Languages and Cultures in general, feel free to ask me.
Original post by JamesJones777
I studied Chinese and French at Sheffield, had an offer from Oxford (Oriental Studies) but didn't meet the offer. I did some post-A-Level German classes at Sheffield so if you have any questions about life in Sheffield or the School of Languages and Cultures in general, feel free to ask me.

ooh yeah thanks, how good would you say the Sheffield language department is? are the lessons actually engaging like? also if you've ever been to York, how do the cities compare?
Original post by aquarajr20
I'm applying for French and beginners Italian at UCL, Bristol and Exeter, French and beginners Spanish at KCL and French Studies at ULIP :smile: Let me know if you're applying for any of the same unis!

I’m applying to the same ones for french and Italian but also Lancaster and I’m not sure for the last one
hey! i’m currently on a gap year (great year to do one i know) and i’m thinking of applying to study german with beginners french at uni after getting an A in A-level german this year. i’ve narrowed it down to nottingham, york, reading and newcastle as a back up option (just bc i live there) but i’m really not sure what to put as my 5th choice! i might put uni of birmingham down but i’m really undecided tbh. anyone else thinking of applying to similar courses/unis? lemme know :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by chloepricee
hey! i’m currently on a gap year (great year to do one i know) and i’m thinking of applying to study german with beginners french at uni after getting an A in A-level german this year. i’ve narrowed it down to nottingham, york, reading and newcastle as a back up option (just bc i live there) but i’m really not sure what to put as my 5th choice! i might put uni of birmingham down but i’m really undecided tbh. anyone else thinking of applying to similar courses/unis? lemme know :smile:

Hi @chloepricee,

If you have any questions about the course, or student life here at Birmingham then let me know! :smile: - Molly
Reply 25
I've received a conditional offer already from Liverpool to study Spanish and Chinese!! I've just sent in all my application for oxford fingers crossed but I won't be too disappointed if I don't get a place I'll be very happy at Liverpool.
Reply 26
Original post by JamesJones777

Out of curiosity did you do Chinese at GCSE or ALevel? I'd like to do Chinese at degree level, did GCSE but unfortunately not ALevel. If not did you struggle or if you did was it an advantage in your offer from Oxford? Also, what was the interview process like at Oxford? I haven't been able to find anyone who did an interview specifically for Chinese.
Original post by b0ngle
Out of curiosity did you do Chinese at GCSE or ALevel? I'd like to do Chinese at degree level, did GCSE but unfortunately not ALevel. If not did you struggle or if you did was it an advantage in your offer from Oxford? Also, what was the interview process like at Oxford? I haven't been able to find anyone who did an interview specifically for Chinese.

https://insideuni.org/interviews/all/ is useful to find out about interview experiences for different subjects/colleges. Haven’t checked if theres one for Chinese at Oxford though!
Original post by beeegilbbb
I’m applying to the same ones for french and Italian but also Lancaster and I’m not sure for the last one

I applied to UCL, ULIP and kings! Same course as you for kings!
Reply 29
Original post by Peaches267
https://insideuni.org/interviews/all/ is useful to find out about interview experiences for different subjects/colleges. Haven’t checked if theres one for Chinese at Oxford though!

They helped so much thank you!!
Hi everyone, good luck to all of you with your applications/final decisions! :jive: I've posted on the Oxford applicants thread but thought I'd post here as well.

I'm a fourth year Modern Languages student at Oxford (German and Russian), so if any of you have any questions about the course, Oxford life, application process, or just generally about being a Modern Languages student at degree level, I'll do my best to answer! :h:
Original post by b0ngle

I was a complete beginner. My interview questions had very little to do with Chinese, instead,they wanted me to identify literary techniques in an English written piece in one interview. And in the other,they gave us a poem and an article about Chinese society. We had to pick one and answer questions on it. As I did Sociology A Level, I chose the article. It was a 3 day process. Made some great friends there, as an FSMchild I felt a bit out of place but at the same time, those feelings disappeared after the interviews because everyone was really nice.
Hi :smile: I'm applying for combined honours (spanish and geography)- would anyone like to be part of and instagram gc for languages? Let me know if you're interested!
Reply 33
Original post by Lucyhhumphreys
Hi :smile: I'm applying for combined honours (spanish and geography)- would anyone like to be part of and instagram gc for languages? Let me know if you're interested!

We already have one! :smile:) Pm me your username and I’ll invite you x
Original post by beeegilbbb

heyyy I applied to UCL and applied for the same course as you at KCL! I also applied for ULIP but for French and intl relations haha
Original post by Barbastelle
Hi everyone, good luck to all of you with your applications/final decisions! :jive: I've posted on the Oxford applicants thread but thought I'd post here as well.

I'm a fourth year Modern Languages student at Oxford (German and Russian), so if any of you have any questions about the course, Oxford life, application process, or just generally about being a Modern Languages student at degree level, I'll do my best to answer! :h:

Hi! i've been looking for an oxford student to ask about the uni life. I just had both my interviews as I applied there for French and beginners Portuguese. How has the workload been for u and has it been easy for you to still have a decent social life at Oxford? Also what is the area like- I've never been to Oxford. Is it a super boring area to live or is there a fair amount to do and also is there a good shopping mall lol. Thank youuuu <3
Original post by Culver
We already have one! :smile:) Pm me your username and I’ll invite you x

hey, could you invite me too?
Reply 37
Original post by DeadChairSwinger
hey, could you invite me too?

Ofc! Pm me your username :smile:
Hi, I'm applying to Bristol for spanish and italian, I was wondering if anyone else is??
Original post by tillycrook
Hi, I'm applying to Bristol for spanish and italian, I was wondering if anyone else is??

I applied for Spanish and French! And seeing as I messed my Cambridge interviews up I'm probably going to firm Bristol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending