3 days until A level results day and I want to change my course

Watch
user001526
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've applied for mechanical engineering, however, I want to study civil engineering instead.
I did think of emailing the university beforehand but it's only 3 days before results day, I don't think there is much point as it is too close to results day and I also am not sure who to email.
I was thinking to wait until results day ( and hopefully get in) and call up to see if I can switch courses. I looked through their clearing list and they don't have any spaces for civil engineering.
any advice on what I should do?
matscigal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check clearing on results day when the lists are updated for the final time. You might be able to transfer but I doubt it if they’re no advertising clearing spaces (but you never know!). I’d also recommend looking for civil engineering/ general engineering courses now at other unis before results day!! That will mean you can get the place you want if your uni can’t offer you a place for civil.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should email now. Email the general admissions address for your firm and insurance universities.
They might be able to fit you into the new course if you ask early.
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user001526)
I've applied for mechanical engineering, however, I want to study civil engineering instead.
I did think of emailing the university beforehand but it's only 3 days before results day, I don't think there is much point as it is too close to results day and I also am not sure who to email.
I was thinking to wait until results day ( and hopefully get in) and call up to see if I can switch courses. I looked through their clearing list and they don't have any spaces for civil engineering.
any advice on what I should do?
I asked my uni to change my course from the 3 year to the 4 year course last week and even then they said they couldn't now due to UCAS regulations meaning we have to wait until results day :/
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dechante)
I asked my uni to change my course from the 3 year to the 4 year course last week and even then they said they couldn't now due to UCAS regulations meaning we have to wait until results day :/
That’s because you can’t see the live version of Track at the moment.

Universities can make these sorts of changes now they just won’t show on Track until Thursday
user001526
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You should email now. Email the general admissions address for your firm and insurance universities.
They might be able to fit you into the new course if you ask early.
Thank you, I'm filling out the enquiry form for my firm, Do you know if I need to write up almost a 'mini personal statement' for civil engineering or would it be okay to just explain that i picked mechanical engineering as it was the broadest type of engineering and now I've decided that I would enjoy civil engineering?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user001526)
Thank you, I'm filling out the enquiry form for my firm, Do you know if I need to write up almost a 'mini personal statement' for civil engineering or would it be okay to just explain that i picked mechanical engineering as it was the broadest type of engineering and now I've decided that I would enjoy civil engineering?
Don't offer explainations unless they ask for it.

Just ask if you could change your course.

Hasn't your firm given you an email address to contact admissions?
user001526
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Don't offer explainations unless they ask for it.

Just ask if you could change your course.

Hasn't your firm given you an email address to contact admissions?
They 've provided a phone number for current offer holders but the lines are closed and the only other option is the enquiry form, I've now filled that out and asked if I could change it.
I've also signed up for their clearing alerts for civil engineering and I'm going to find 5 other unis that are currently in clearing that do civil as my insurance does not provide an option to study civil engineering :/
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
That’s because you can’t see the live version of Track at the moment.

Universities can make these sorts of changes now they just won’t show on Track until Thursday
Ah okay thank you so much for the help!! The way the email was written made it seem like you couldn't change until Thursday and after I have my results
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dechante)
Ah okay thank you so much for the help!! The way the email was written made it seem like you couldn't change until Thursday and after I have my results
Some universities have that as their policy but there's no harm in asking (and hoping) that your will be able to sort it out before thursday
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed