Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I will be starting my epq in September on a physics topic and was wondering if anybody had any examples they would be willing to share with me because writing a 5000 word essay is pretty daunting to me and I’m really unsure about how to structure my essay and production log so any help would be amazing
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Emily~3695)
Hi, I will be starting my epq in September on a physics topic and was wondering if anybody had any examples they would be willing to share with me because writing a 5000 word essay is pretty daunting to me and I’m really unsure about how to structure my essay and production log so any help would be amazing
It is hard to do EPQs for subjects like physics or mathematics because more often than not to do so you would need undergraduate mathematics which is almost impossible to learn in the entirety of sixth form (but I met a girl in my interview and she did her EPQ on theoretical particle physics) and also the funding is pretty limited as you would need to fund yourself.

Firstly you would need to think which area/branch of physics do you want to do your EPQ on. Think about which branches of physics you like and narrow it down eventually to one. I will provide a non-exhaustive list of topics here:

Particle physics
Quantum mechanics
Classical Mechanics
Materials
Electricity
Statistical Mechanics
Gravitational Fields
Electric Fields
Electromagnetism
Nuclear physics
Astrophysics
Medical physics
Engineering physics
General Relativity
Special Relativity
Theoretical Physics
Condensed Matter
Biophysics

I really cannot provide you with a title because as I said you need to choose a field to do it on first.

Dont know how much help would these few paragraphs be but there we go.
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Luwei)
It is hard to do EPQs for subjects like physics or mathematics because more often than not to do so you would need undergraduate mathematics which is almost impossible to learn in the entirety of sixth form (but I met a girl in my interview and she did her EPQ on theoretical particle physics) and also the funding is pretty limited as you would need to fund yourself.

Firstly you would need to think which area/branch of physics do you want to do your EPQ on. Think about which branches of physics you like and narrow it down eventually to one. I will provide a non-exhaustive list of topics here:

Particle physics
Quantum mechanics
Classical Mechanics
Materials
Electricity
Statistical Mechanics
Gravitational Fields
Electric Fields
Electromagnetism
Nuclear physics
Astrophysics
Medical physics
Engineering physics
General Relativity
Special Relativity
Theoretical Physics
Condensed Matter
Biophysics

I really cannot provide you with a title because as I said you need to choose a field to do it on first.

Dont know how much help would these few paragraphs be but there we go.
Thanks for your input, I want to do an essay based epq on either medical physics or biophysics and was just wondering if anybody had any info about how to structure a science based epq, I’m not sure what you mean about funding because I will just be using the internet and I’m doing this at school but thanks for your help
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your input, I want to do an essay based epq on either medical physics or biophysics and was just wondering if anybody had any info about how to structure a science based epq, I’m not sure what you mean about funding because I will just be using the internet and I’m doing this at school but thanks for your help
When I said funding I mean the experiments that you are going to do and the apparatus that you are going to need. Your house is not a university laboratory so depending on how simple or complex your topic is chances are that you might need to buy/use laboratories elsewhere. In terms of how to structure is you could look up on papers published on journals. A paper normally starts with an abstract giving a brief outline of what the whole project is about and then you start diving into whatever you want to write.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your input, I want to do an essay based epq on either medical physics or biophysics and was just wondering if anybody had any info about how to structure a science based epq,
You structure it the same way anyone does for a dissertation option EPQ - probably the best option is to wait until; you get told what to do at school. An important thing about EPQs is that the subject of your dissertation is pretty much irrelevant, the marks are for following what you're meant to do and displaying a range of research skills, how you put the argument together etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.14%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (679)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads