Is this normal for DVLA?

Watch
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Before my 17th birthday, in March, I sent my application for a provisional license. I triple checked that I had absolutely everything that was required, I had a license photo taken in one of the booths etc. However, a week or two after I sent my application, the pandemic came in full swing and so around two months later my application was returned. The reason given was that the application had arrived too late. However, I had made sure to send in within the two week period of receiving the form required. Due to the pandemic I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited until June before re-applying for my provisional.

In June I sent my application again, once again checking that everything was perfect. I sent the application on the day I received it to make sure that they wouldn't send it back for the same reason as last time. It is now August and I haven't heard a word from them. I have tracked my license and it says that they are waiting to receive my 'application return form'?

I have tried to call them a million times (which is their only method of contact right now) and the line is always busy and it cuts me off, not even letting me wait in a queue. I understand that COVID is undoubtedly slowing the procedure, but surely this is a bit ridiculous. What should I do and does anyone have some advice?

TLDR: DVLA sent my prov. license back saying I took too long to send (which I didn't). Now they haven't sent my (new) application back in 2 months.
Endola
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh Lord, I feel bad for you because I went through the exact same thing and waited for 2 whole months for them to send me a provisional license. But I can re-assure you that unless it's been lost in the mail (which I highly doubt), the DVLA are just taking extra long to process all applications. I also tried calling them plenty of times, then I got fed up and just called a different department which put me through to DVLA. Overall, it was hectic but don't worry - you'll get your provisional license
chloenix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Endola)
Oh Lord, I feel bad for you because I went through the exact same thing and waited for 2 whole months for them to send me a provisional license. But I can re-assure you that unless it's been lost in the mail (which I highly doubt), the DVLA are just taking extra long to process all applications. I also tried calling them plenty of times, then I got fed up and just called a different department which put me through to DVLA. Overall, it was hectic but don't worry - you'll get your provisional license
This reassured me a lot, thank you
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The DVLA are extremely busy, with backlog of national post, backlog of online applications, backlog of theory tests, backlog of practical tests, etc. So the general waiting time is quite long, but it will come eventually.
chloenix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joshkav)
The DVLA are extremely busy, with backlog of national post, backlog of online applications, backlog of theory tests, backlog of practical tests, etc. So the general waiting time is quite long, but it will come eventually.
Okay thank you this is reassuring, I thought I was the only one!
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just imagine the mail room there as looking like this right now
Name:  7FCAC99E-9C27-4F42-9E0E-AB1AB834A5DB.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  59.7 KB
chloenix
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDE)
Just imagine the mail room there as looking like this right now
Name:  7FCAC99E-9C27-4F42-9E0E-AB1AB834A5DB.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  59.7 KB
Ahhh right
ellagc03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sent mine off on the 15th of June and still not heard anything. Its been over 8 weeks! I've called them multiple times but they weren't helpful at all and couldn't tell me anything. Have you had yours back yet? I don't know if I should cancel and start again incase they've lost my letter
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ellagc03)
I sent mine off on the 15th of June and still not heard anything. Its been over 8 weeks! I've called them multiple times but they weren't helpful at all and couldn't tell me anything. Have you had yours back yet? I don't know if I should cancel and start again incase they've lost my letter
I've been waiting since the end of June, so a week or two less than you and I've heard nothing either I'll wait until September I think and then try and contact them for an update if it still hasn't arrived
Hopefully yours comes soon!
VikasMandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Any furter updates on anyone getting their id’s and provisional license?
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by VikasMandal)
Any furter updates on anyone getting their id’s and provisional license?
Yes I got mine eventually, took a while though!
VikasMandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by chloenix)
Yes I got mine eventually, took a while though!
How long it took for your ID’s and license back with you?
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by VikasMandal)
How long it took for your ID’s and license back with you?
It took about 3 months.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads