Prime Minister's Questions – 10th August 2020.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Order, Order!

The Prime Minister, El Salvador, will now take questions from the house. Members are limited to how many questions they can ask the PM as detailed below.

3) Members have a limit as to how many questions they can ask the Prime Minister.

i) The Leader of the Opposition may ask six questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.

ii) Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.

iii) MPs may ask two questions, plus two follow-up questions.

iv) Ordinary users may ask one question with one follow-up.

4) The Speaker will close the thread 48 hours after opening it, unless the Prime Minister requests them to keep it open a little longer.

The Loto is JMR2020.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When will the government be responding to the outstanding motion that has passed the 28 day target?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
When will the government be responding to the outstanding motion that has passed the 28 day target?
As soon as it passes the internal vote.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does the PM stand with his Defence Secretary in parroting the Argentinian line on the Falklands or does he subscribe to the real history where we sailed alone?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I note Jammy has still got the Belgrano up his arse, despite being wrong about it :rolleyes:

Mr Prime Minister,
Do you believe there is anything our government could, and should, do apropos the deteriorating situation in HK? And indeed to Beirut as well, for that matter.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As this is probably the first PMQs in the second half of term, what is the prime minister most proud of achieving so far in his time in the office?
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Following Napp's question, what action if any do you plan to take with regard to the Beirut explosion?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I note Jammy has still got the Belgrano up his arse, despite being wrong about it :rolleyes:

Mr Prime Minister,
Do you believe there is anything our government could, and should, do apropos the deteriorating situation in HK? And indeed to Beirut as well, for that matter.
I believe the only thing we can do for Beirut would be to offer aid via UK charities, but at the moment I don't see them appealing for international support on that matter, beyond France's.

For Hong Kong, I'm particularly concerned that British citizen Jimmy Lai, media tycoon, was arrested alongside his family, as well as former British citizen Agnes Hilary Lok-Hei Chow, former student activist. The government was committed to imposing sanctions, but the left and the libertarians voted against any measures, so we will continue on with our residency offer and following what happens in real life. I think, however, at one point we will need to assess the risk of allowing any Hong Kong law enforcement officer to visit the UK, considering their view that UK is under their jurisdiction and they can penalise and arrest British citizens on British soil.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Following Napp's question, what action if any do you plan to take with regard to the Beirut explosion?
Lebanon seems more keen on receiving help from their former colonial master France so we will wait and see if we are actually needed. I'm sure whatever we can offer, France could too.

The fundamental problem in Lebanon of course is their political issues, and a system that doesn't in reality solve the causes of the Civil War. But I'm not sure what we can do about that.
Bailey14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is the Prime Minister’s view on the situation in Belarus?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
As this is probably the first PMQs in the second half of term, what is the prime minister most proud of achieving so far in his time in the office?
We had the foresight concerning the plight of British nationals overseas and produced and passed an item that was not only a clearer, more straightforward proposal compared to the one in real life, but was also one that was a true collaboration between our 2 parties in coalition.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does the PM believe the government is producing enough legislative output?

What does the PM believe has been the biggest weakness of the government so far this term?

Does the PM believe that RAF planes should be sent at great cost by the RL government in order to try and spot migrants coming over the English Channel?
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Lebanon seems more keen on receiving help from their former colonial master France so we will wait and see if we are actually needed. I'm sure whatever we can offer, France could too.

The fundamental problem in Lebanon of course is their political issues, and a system that doesn't in reality solve the causes of the Civil War. But I'm not sure what we can do about that.
I see. In the (admittedly unlikely) event of the reintroduction of French rule in Lebanon with Lebanese support, would you support or oppose such a development?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
We had the foresight concerning the plight of British nationals overseas and produced and passed an item that was not only a clearer, more straightforward proposal compared to the one in real life, but was also one that was a true collaboration between our 2 parties in coalition.
Staying on the implied topic of the PM's answer, does he believe a ban on TikTok is a proportional measure for the US to take, and more importantly, would he advocate one here?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I see. In the (admittedly unlikely) event of the reintroduction of French rule in Lebanon with Lebanese support, would you support or oppose such a development?
I would of course oppose the re-establishment of the French colonial empire, although I'm not opposed to France's continued attempt to influence its former colonies in Africa.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Staying on the implied topic of the PM's answer, does he believe a ban on TikTok is a proportional measure for the US to take, and more importantly, would he advocate one here?
The US is not banning if Microsoft is in control of the app. I think that's appropriate but it's a very lucky coincidence. Between a US-owned TikTok and a Chinese-owned TikTok it's obvious which one I would trust more, even though Microsoft was accused of leaving China a backdoor with Skype.

Without such a deal, I would be quite undecided in the topic. I don't believe the owners of TikTok are completely controlled by China, and their having their server overseas and withdrawing from Hong Kong after the national security law took effect showed that they would like to demonstrate how they could split from their Chinese app. But it's a reality that in Chinese law, all companies are obliged to spy on behalf of the Chinese state, and TikTok's owners, as long as they reside in China, cannot ignore that. I would be more than happy to receive its owners in Britain as investors, but even so, they may feel they have to follow Chinese law due to their app in China and their family being there.

This is a question I can only really make a final decision on with sufficient intelligence from our own government as well as our allies. At this stage, I have no plan to ban TikTok.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
Does the PM believe the government is producing enough legislative output?

What does the PM believe has been the biggest weakness of the government so far this term?

Does the PM believe that RAF planes should be sent at great cost by the RL government in order to try and spot migrants coming over the English Channel?
I believe we had more output earlier but have slowed down naturally due to the summer vacation.

We can probably be more on top of things despite the vacation.

I think that's a waste of money, we probably could just send some helicopters, but I'm no expert on this topic.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When migrants are rescued in the channel to which country will they be sailed?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know what Jammy is referred to so I don't know what to say about that. But I'd imagine I'd stand by Her Majesty's Defence Secretary in general.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bailey14)
What is the Prime Minister’s view on the situation in Belarus?
I think we response right above your comment answered your question.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads