Moonch!ld
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Do I need to be ‘HCPC‘ registered and have an ‘IBMS portfolio’ to become a biomedical scientist? Also, how would I do that?
And out of university after doing a biomedical science degree, what ‘band’ would I be?
Beecar98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes. You are required to be registered with the HCPC in order to work as a Biomedical Scientist, and one of the requirements to do that is to complete the IBMS Registration Portfolio. It can be completed by doing the Healthcare Science (Life Science) degree as placements and the portfolio are part of the course (I think), or it can be completed during a placement year on a Biomedical Science degree (provided the degree is IBMS accredited.)

Biomedical Scientists start as Band 5, if you’ve completed the portfolio and gained your registration then you will start there. If you aren’t able to do your portfolio, then in order to do become a BMS you’d most likely have to join as a Band 2 MLA.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you've already committed to a BSc Biomedical Science course unfortunately the route for you now (assuming it is IBMS accredited) is to apply for Band 2 roles so that you're able to tick the "NHS Experience" box and then move on to applying for Trainee Biomedical Scientist jobs, which aren't too common.
Candiceswyip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
If you've already committed to a BSc Biomedical Science course unfortunately the route for you now (assuming it is IBMS accredited) is to apply for Band 2 roles so that you're able to tick the "NHS Experience" box and then move on to applying for Trainee Biomedical Scientist jobs, which aren't too common.
Will the degree of Healthcare science open to non-local students?
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Candiceswyip)
Will the degree of Healthcare science open to non-local students?
I've never heard of the course not been open to non-local students.
Candiceswyip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
I've never heard of the course not been open to non-local students.
Since it's funded by NHS, the course isn't for non UK and EU applicants. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Candiceswyip)
Since it's funded by NHS, the course isn't for non UK and EU applicants. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
It's not funded by the NHS. You have to pay full fees.

On this website for the course at the University of Bradford it states an International Tuition Fee.

https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/u...-sciences-bsc/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads