amyyy24
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my new F2 placement.

The post was advertised on the Deanery website and application portal as being "General Adult Psychiatry" in "District General Hospital". The hospital in question has one mixed in patient ward, and an attached detox unit. I applied for this rotation (In Wales, so F1 and F2 applications are separate) and made it my first choice as I really wanted experience in general psych.

Over the last few months I hadn't heard anything about the start of the post, where I was supposed to go or if there was an induction. I have an email chain of me asking multiple people at the education centre for information, as well as my named educational supervisor (who didn't reply).

I eventually get a contract through after asking several times, which states I am on an unbanded position in general psychiatry at "district general hospital". I have yet to receive a job description.

Last Wednesday came without any information, and so I turned up on my first day to be told there was a three day induction at the local psych hospital, and that somehow I'd been "missed off the mailing list" which included all of the induction information.

Anyway. I return to the inpatient unit today for my first day, the consultant was super friendly and we started the board round. Halfway through the morning I receive an email asking why I have not attended my first day at "community Cottage Hospital" in "Community Mental Health".
Essentially today was the first day I was told I should be in a completely different location, doing a completely different area of psychiatry to the one advertised. There is no mention of the cottage hospital in any of the documents I have received, I've had no contact from said hospital or the community mental health team, and all of my online logins are set for the district general hospital, as set up by the trust. Additionally my contract says "District General Hospital", as does the posting which is still listed on the deanery website.

Does anyone else have a similar experience/is this legal, and would I be right in persuing this with the trust and foundation programme director/BMA?

TL;DR deanery trying to make me move to a different job than was advertised as F2 post without any notification. Is this legal?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amyyy24)
Hi guys,

The post was advertised on the Deanery website and application portal as being "General Adult Psychiatry" in "District General Hospital". The hospital in question has one mixed in patient ward, and an attached detox unit. I applied for this rotation (In Wales, so F1 and F2 applications are separate) and made it my first choice as I really wanted experience in general psych.

Over the last few months I hadn't heard anything about the start of the post, where I was supposed to go or if there was an induction. I have an email chain of me asking multiple people at the education centre for information, as well as my named educational supervisor (who didn't reply).

I eventually get a contract through after asking several times, which states I am on an unbanded position in general psychiatry at "district general hospital". I have yet to receive a job description.

Last Wednesday came without any information, and so I turned up on my first day to be told there was a three day induction at the local psych hospital, and that somehow I'd been "missed off the mailing list" which included all of the induction information.

Anyway. I return to the inpatient unit today for my first day, the consultant was super friendly and we started the board round. Halfway through the morning I receive an email asking why I have not attended my first day at "community Cottage Hospital" in "Community Mental Health".
Essentially today was the first day I was told I should be in a completely different location, doing a completely different area of psychiatry to the one advertised. There is no mention of the cottage hospital in any of the documents I have received, I've had no contact from said hospital or the community mental health team, and all of my online logins are set for the district general hospital, as set up by the trust. Additionally my contract says "District General Hospital", as does the posting which is still listed on the deanery website.

Does anyone else have a similar experience/is this legal, and would I be right in persuing this with the trust and foundation programme director/BMA?

TL;DR deanery trying to make me move to a different job than was advertised as F2 post without any notification. Is this legal?

Thanks in advance!
I just read your post and I am so sorry that this happened to you! I can't offer any practical advice but all I can say is that I'm an F2 working in psych who had a VERY similar experience.
I got relocated from community to inpatient in a hospital 1 hour away from where I was supposed to work.
I think it proves how much Health Education England cares about us trainees.
I would escalate to your Foundation Programme Director if there are any changes you would like to make to your current post and also they should be aware of the incident because it shouldn't happen again.
re. BMA good luck getting any help from them- they literally just want their money but based on my personal experience they won't do anything to help!
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amyyy24)
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
I would talk to your FTPD and then escalate to BMA and FSD this.
Is it legal? Sort of, in there is a clause on oriel that says that any post can be changed due to whatever reason. But there does need to be a reason. More tho, you do really ought to be told! With some apology ideally. Not sure where this plays into contract/employment law tho, and the BMA the best people for that. You are a member?
I dont think this is HEE tho, they prob have no idea unless you tell them.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think they can just do this yes. But do kick up a fuss and escalate to FTPD and BMA just in case you get something - travel expenses, a week's placement on the inpatient unit, anything.

Sounds like you should have chosen to work for an organisation with less of a reputation for treating their new employees like dirt! Oh wait...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (10)
17.86%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (15)
26.79%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.36%
No, I haven't received any communication (28)
50%

Watched Threads