Some advise on a Neuroscience degree at King's College London, please...

Watch
Zurcs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I'm an artist by trade and have spent the last couple of years (crudely) developing software/feed-back technology - exploring the relationship between people, their environment and, empathy.

My self directed learning is only taking me so far and I'd really like to deepen my understanding of the nervous system, behaviour and how I could potentially apply it understanding / treating neurological disorders.

I've got my sights set on King's College London so intend on gearing my UCAS application towards them.

Can any King's students out there advise on wether I'd be a good fit for that course?

Cheers
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
supergrad studied neuroscience at KCL so perhaps they could help you out
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd need to have studied, minimally, biology and chemistry to A-level (plus another A-level) or equivalent standard to be considered for entry. Those are also the standard requirements of neuroscience courses basically everywhere in the UK (some may prefer or require a 3rd STEM subject such as A-level Maths as well as bio/chem). I'd recommend you start by aiming to meet those requirements before deciding which courses you may wish to apply to.
username4991198
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zurcs)
So, I'm an artist by trade and have spent the last couple of years (crudely) developing software/feed-back technology - exploring the relationship between people, their environment and, empathy.

My self directed learning is only taking me so far and I'd really like to deepen my understanding of the nervous system, behaviour and how I could potentially apply it understanding / treating neurological disorders.

I've got my sights set on King's College London so intend on gearing my UCAS application towards them.

Can any King's students out there advise on wether I'd be a good fit for that course?

Cheers
(Im not a current kings neuroscience student but i did recieve an offer for neuroscience from them ( ended up taking offer of neuroscience from ucl))
I am not an artist but am aiming to be one (just did FAD) and i am interested (art wise) in mind based things eg perametars of our existance/ the other/ entropy of our internal and external life ect.
ik that both kcl and ucl neuroscience courses are largely based on low level ( molecular) neuroscience so it may be worth looking at a new course kcl have - joint degree of psychology and neuroscience - i went to open day of this course and it seemed like good balance beetween computers n data analysis, molecular biology as well as the more higher level questions of emotions and consciousness ect (it is also (unlike neurosceince) based at denmark hill campus - litrally at a hospital). Another place worth looking at may be the human neuroscience course at birmingham (this course is largelly based in high level neuroscience )
Zurcs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dechante)
supergrad studied neuroscience at KCL so perhaps they could help you out
Thank you!
Zurcs
Rep:
?
(Original post by isyp)
(Im not a current kings neuroscience student but i did recieve an offer for neuroscience from them ( ended up taking offer of neuroscience from ucl))
I am not an artist but am aiming to be one (just did FAD) and i am interested (art wise) in mind based things eg perametars of our existance/ the other/ entropy of our internal and external life ect.
ik that both kcl and ucl neuroscience courses are largely based on low level ( molecular) neuroscience so it may be worth looking at a new course kcl have - joint degree of psychology and neuroscience - i went to open day of this course and it seemed like good balance beetween computers n data analysis, molecular biology as well as the more higher level questions of emotions and consciousness ect (it is also (unlike neurosceince) based at denmark hill campus - litrally at a hospital). Another place worth looking at may be the human neuroscience course at birmingham (this course is largelly based in high level neuroscience )
That's really helpful. Thank you!

After a little more digging, I think I'd like focus on epigenetic biomarkers in psychiatry, maybe through the lens of embodiment - the interactions between people / environment and its molecular expression. Psychology bores me a little so probably not the best course for me - much more comfortable problem solving physical systems.

Unfortunately I need to stay in London and I'm offering an access course so UCL is off the books. Seems King's is the only way to go but I'm worried about putting all my eggs in that basket...
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zurcs)

After a little more digging, I think I'd like focus on epigenetic biomarkers in psychiatry, maybe through the lens of embodiment - the interactions between people / environment and its molecular expression. Psychology bores me a little so probably not the best course for me - much more comfortable problem solving physical systems.

Unfortunately I need to stay in London and I'm offering an access course so UCL is off the books. Seems King's is the only way to go but I'm worried about putting all my eggs in that basket...
I applied for neuroscience and if all goes well tomorrow I will be going Exeter but I looked at several unis so maybe I can help you. Look at the modules for unis (unfortunately you can only go live in London) so that leaves UCL, KCL and Queen Mary's. My interest is also psychiatry so I get what you mean and I plan to take the neuropsychiatric and psychology modules in year 2 there. You could always apply for a four year course and try to do research in psychiatry (which is what I plan to do) or you could also do a masters in psychiatric medicine. However, you still have years left to decide what you want to do with that degree.
supergrad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zurcs)

What are your current qualifications?

King’s has a lot of research opportunities available in different fields (I chose developmental neurobiology and I absolutely loved it, I had very supportive colleagues and supervisors) during the undergrad/integrated masters and masters in neuro programme... most researchers are very happy to take on students in their labs for further experience following their lab projects (for them it’s an extra pair of (trained) hands)- however you will have to take the initiative

my supervisor was kind enough to push for my work being published.. i know this is down to the type of supervisor you have but most of friends had similarly positive experiences on the course
Last edited by supergrad; 1 month ago
Zurcs
Rep:
?
Hey Super.

My A levels have expired and I've an art degree so, I'll be offering a science access course and an AS level in maths. As I need to stay in London, I'm narrowed to King's as UCL and QSMUL don't accept these qualifications for the Neuroscience BSc.

My worry is that my past work around the arts and neuro may be a hard sell and just may not fit into what they're about. Do you think they'd be welcoming to someone with my background - maybe I should omit that from my application? To increase my chances, do you think it wise to also apply for biochemistry and switch to neuro after the common year?
supergrad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zurcs)
Hey Super.

My A levels have expired and I've an art degree so, I'll be offering a science access course and an AS level in maths. As I need to stay in London, I'm narrowed to King's as UCL and QSMUL don't accept these qualifications for the Neuroscience BSc.

My worry is that my past work around the arts and neuro may be a hard sell and just may not fit into what they're about. Do you think they'd be welcoming to someone with my background - maybe I should omit that from my application? To increase my chances, do you think it wise to also apply for biochemistry and switch to neuro after the common year?
If you meet their entry requirements then your art background (I personally think) will make you stand out, so definitely include it (in a way that reflects and emphasises your skills and qualities)... It is quite easy to transfer over to another bioscience towards the end of CYO so if that is the route you want to take then it’s still an idea- however there is probably no need for this. If you are still concerned, you can drop an email to bioscience admissions and ask them for advice. I’m sure you have a lot to offer with your background so please don’t be discouraged because it’s a bit different! It will just make you stand out 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.32%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.87%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (171)
38.6%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.38%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.19%

Watched Threads