The Student Room Group

What happens if you can't do the apprenticeship coursework?

Hi there, I'm about three months into a level 3 apprenticeship and so far things are going pretty well. I'm getting on with all my colleaugues and have demonstrated an ability and problem solving skills far in excess of what would be considered the "bare minimum" for someone in my position.

However, I am not here to brag. One area that I have not been doing so well is in the coursework set for me by the apprenticeship provider. Particularly the Health & Safety and Communication coursework.

I simply have no idea what to write. I had this exact same problem at university, which is why I tried an apprentice instead. However it seems like there's even more writing involved in this, the reasons for which I do not understand.

So my question is - what happens if I just don't do the coursework? Will I lose my job?
(edited 3 years ago)
I’ve done an apprenticeship before.
And yeah pretty much - if you don’t do your coursework then it proves you don’t have enough potential to juggle a job and assignments .... which was the thing you signed up for originally, giving the impression that you’re here to complete your qualification and do well at your job.

Have you asked the tutor or your manager to help? Before giving up, it makes sense to do that first. If you get on with your colleagues, ask them for help too.
Original post by AllStarGear
Hi there, I'm about three months into a level 3 apprenticeship and so far things are going pretty well. I'm getting on with all my colleaugues and have demonstrated an ability and problem solving skills far in excess of what would be considered the "bare minimum" for someone in my position.

However, I am not here to brag. One area that I have not been doing so well is in the coursework set for me by the apprenticeship provider. Particularly the Health & Safety and Communication coursework.

I simply have no idea what to write. I had this exact same problem at university, which is why I tried an apprentice instead. However it seems like there's even more writing involved in this, the reasons for which I do not understand.

So my question is - what happens if I just don't do the coursework? Will I lose my job?

Don't wanna brag but health and safety is the easiest coursework you can do, risk assement and identifying hazards is easily avilable on the internet, however don't plagarise.
Reply 3
Original post by 21ForEva
I’ve done an apprenticeship before.
And yeah pretty much - if you don’t do your coursework then it proves you don’t have enough potential to juggle a job and assignments .... which was the thing you signed up for originally, giving the impression that you’re here to complete your qualification and do well at your job.

Have you asked the tutor or your manager to help? Before giving up, it makes sense to do that first. If you get on with your colleagues, ask them for help too.

Hi 21ForEva, thanks for taking the time to reply!

In case I wasn't clear enough in my OP - I have no intention of giving up and am thoroughly enjoying my job. I am simply wondering what will happen if I fail to turn in the coursework, will I be fired?

In case I wasn't clear enough in my OP - I have no intention of giving up and am thoroughly enjoying my job. I am simply wondering what will happen if I fail to turn in the coursework, will I be fired?

Why don’t you ask them? It’s different for every company.....

Hopefully, there will be measures they can put in place before you get too far behind and it affects your course. It'd be best to highlight your struggles to your manager/colleagues as soon as possible though.

When you say you have no idea what to write, do you think it's because you don't understand the question, or because you don't have the evidence to provide a suitable answer?
Reply 6
Original post by brainzistheword
Hopefully, there will be measures they can put in place before you get too far behind and it affects your course. It'd be best to highlight your struggles to your manager/colleagues as soon as possible though.

When you say you have no idea what to write, do you think it's because you don't understand the question, or because you don't have the evidence to provide a suitable answer?

Hi brainzistheword, I don't feel like I can answer them. For example I have been asked to explain how our health & safety policy has impacted my work. It has not impacted my work so I am unable to write about this.
Hi brainzistheword, I don't feel like I can answer them. For example I have been asked to explain how our health & safety policy has impacted my work. It has not impacted my work so I am unable to write about this.

Hi :smile:

That's understandable and they can be pretty open ended. In this case, I'm assuming you know elements of the health and safety policy? Perhaps you could give a brief overview of a few things it covers for a start.

But I'm pretty sure there will be elements of the policy that you are actioning without even realising. Do you wear any PPE whilst working? If there's any desk work involved, do you complete DSE assessments or ensure there is the correct setup/tools available? Are there safe working practices introduced by the company to ensure your safety? It's things like this that will enable you to link the policy to your work, even if it's a tenuous link at times.

I'd suggest for this question you start listing a few key areas of the policy, giving a brief overview in your response and then taking each one and considering whether or not it is applicable to your role.

Hope that helps a bit, but always happy to help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi :smile:

That's understandable and they can be pretty open ended. In this case, I'm assuming you know elements of the health and safety policy? Perhaps you could give a brief overview of a few things it covers for a start.

But I'm pretty sure there will be elements of the policy that you are actioning without even realising. Do you wear any PPE whilst working? If there's any desk work involved, do you complete DSE assessments or ensure there is the correct setup/tools available? Are there safe working practices introduced by the company to ensure your safety? It's things like this that will enable you to link the policy to your work, even if it's a tenuous link at times.

I'd suggest for this question you start listing a few key areas of the policy, giving a brief overview in your response and then taking each one and considering whether or not it is applicable to your role.

Hope that helps a bit, but always happy to help :smile:

Hiya, I don't wear any PPE and haven't done any DSE assessment, whatever that is. It is dissapointing that I will not be able to do this assessment through no fault of my own - I hope I don't get fired for it.

I honestly couldn't care less about getting the qualifciation, as I don't think such qualifications are worth the paper they are printed on. I just want the experience and the contacts within the company I am working in.
Hiya, I don't wear any PPE and haven't done any DSE assessment, whatever that is. It is dissapointing that I will not be able to do this assessment through no fault of my own - I hope I don't get fired for it.

I honestly couldn't care less about getting the qualifciation, as I don't think such qualifications are worth the paper they are printed on. I just want the experience and the contacts within the company I am working in.

Hmm, okay. Sounds like it could be a tricky one!

What areas does you H&S policy cover then? For info, DSE is Display Screen Equipment, so if you use computers there is an assessment you can take to ensure it is set up correctly and you don't end up with neck strain/back ache etc.

I agree that it can sometimes feel like a tickbox exercise at times, but I still think there must be some evidence you can find from your role to satisfy the criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest