The Student Room Group

21 year old dating a 17 year old?

I’m 21, is she too young? She’s 18 in December?
As long as both sides are giving consent then I dont see the problem if you're both happy
Reply 2
wait till she's 18
I don't see any problem if the relationship makes you both happy.

Equally though, one reason why people can be (reasonably enough) concerned about age gaps at your age is the difference in life experience - ie your girlfriend is likely to be applying to uni/apprenticeships next year, while you might be at uni or working, which can create problems, so something to possibly think about?
idk what you see in a 17 year old as a 21 year old. they're probs still snapping streaks while your planning your life out.

if they're mature though, sure
Reply 5
Original post by becausethenight
I don't see any problem if the relationship makes you both happy.

Equally though, one reason why people can be (reasonably enough) concerned about age gaps at your age is the difference in life experience - ie your girlfriend is likely to be applying to uni/apprenticeships next year, while you might be at uni or working, which can create problems, so something to possibly think about?

She’s starting uni in September and I’m going into second year.
Original post by Anonymous

Wait but if shes 18 in December surely she will be going into year 13 in September?
Original post by Anonymous

Even less to worry about then :smile: (I assumed she was in Y12!)
If only it's legal, then go for it.
It's a perfect age gap, your in the age similar enough to get a good understanding of each other, but with this couple years of advantage you have a chance to secure some job and some money for a start, if this relationship worked well, and you wanted to start a family. Biologically it's perfect for women to have a child between the ages of 18 and 22/24. By that time you could already have a stable job and not too poor income.
(edited 3 years ago)
That's fine. 4 years isn't a massive age gap. It's only difficult because you're graduating uni and she hasn't started. She wants to have fun and you're wanting to settle down. That's not to say it can't work. You should give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending