ceildh dancing Watch

This discussion is closed.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yay! I got my school Social tomorrow night so lots of ceilidh dancing for me
I hated it up until S5 when everybody treats it like the laugh it is and doesn't get hung up over who they're dancing with.
But I still hate Strip the Willow! Especially the Orcadian one!
ecossaise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I used to love it at school and I am now gutted that I'm at an English uni that has no idea what it is. I was telling some of my uni friends about it and they wouldn't believe me that it is an essential part of a Scot's education. Grrr.

I think I'm going to start a Ceilidh Dancing Society at my uni and see what happens.

And Acaila, you're right, the Orcadian Strip the Willow is MENTAL.
Fire Point
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Orcadian Strip the Willow has to be the most dizzying, puke-inducing dance in the world. We had one with 700 people in a t our school for a laugh and it took 6 minutes from end to the other and some people had to leave half way up and 2 people threw up. The normal one is ok though.
Do English folk not do some fancy-pants dance like with masks nd stuff. They should.
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Daibhidh)
Orcadian Strip the Willow has to be the most dizzying, puke-inducing dance in the world. We had one with 700 people in a t our school for a laugh and it took 6 minutes from end to the other and some people had to leave half way up and 2 people threw up. The normal one is ok though.
Do English folk not do some fancy-pants dance like with masks nd stuff. They should.
What do you do in the Orcadian Strip the Willow like?
Fire Point
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You line up like your normal stip the willow but all sets join to form one superset. The bottom set spins for sixteen then each boy/girl works there way up spinning through each pair on the way up until they get to the end and spin for sixteen and then that's them. Whe then first set is two pairs up the second pair spins for eight and continues up and so and so on. HAHA. That's a poor description but I tried.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daibhidh)
Ceilidh=Scottish event where we all go and do Scots Country Dancing -unlike all other countries we have this incorporated into our programme.
You Pady-ba and jump to and fro and gay gordons. You should look it up. English folk could do well to do this.
i'm english and we used to do some of that - the gay gordon rings a bell. we just called it country dancign though!
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had my Social last night and managed to avoid doing any of Strip the Willow! Yay me!
But I had to give up on the Scottische which is like my favourite cos my feet were killing me
Adding in disco boogie moves to the Virginia Reel is great fun....oh and cossack dancing in it too!
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Meh, at Christmas my (Scottish) nan used to make me wear her tartan shawl, she then put her sticks on the floor in a cross (instead of swords) and made me perform for her, jumping in and out of the spaces. :mad:
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Awwww poor blissy!
This is much more fun than Highland dancing I promise. And it can be done in a ballgown rather than a silly kilt
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1332)
79.67%
Leave (340)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise