Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When it comes to me wanting to apply for Cambridge (for September 2022) to do Human, Social and Political Sciences, can student loans make it more affordable? Do they offer any scholarships I could be eligible for? I'll have a look again on the website but I'd love to see the perspective of someone who's actually been there. This is after my mum has crushed my dreams by calling my ambitions unrealistic when what does she know, she's never been to university herself-I'm going to be the first in my household to go to uni.

I know it's difficult to get in, too, so I don't want to hear that from people please. I know. But I'm hard working and determined to get in no matter what, and I won't let money or toxic people stop me from doing so.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
When it comes to me wanting to apply for Cambridge (for September 2022) to do Human, Social and Political Sciences, can student loans make it more affordable? Do they offer any scholarships I could be eligible for? I'll have a look again on the website but I'd love to see the perspective of someone who's actually been there. This is after my mum has crushed my dreams by calling my ambitions unrealistic when what does she know, she's never been to university herself-I'm going to be the first in my household to go to uni.

I know it's difficult to get in, too, so I don't want to hear that from people please. I know. But I'm hard working and determined to get in no matter what, and I won't let money or toxic people stop me from doing so.
So, it depends on a couple of things. Where are you coming from? If you are from outside the UK, tuition fees are very much higher than if you ordinarily live in the UK. I'm very happy to help further, but it makes sense to have an answer to this question first!
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
So, it depends on a couple of things. Where are you coming from? If you are from outside the UK, tuition fees are very much higher than if you ordinarily live in the UK. I'm very happy to help further, but it makes sense to have an answer to this question first!
Hi I do live in the UK but one of my parents has medical benefits while the other works, and in this climate the other parent's wages aren't guaranteed in my mother's eyes. Basically, money has been presented as an issue.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I do live in the UK but one of my parents has medical benefits while the other works, and in this climate the other parent's wages aren't guaranteed in my mother's eyes. Basically, money has been presented as an issue.
Why don't you look at the student loan calculator to get an idea of how much you could get?
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really shouldn't be!

If you're in the UK, you can take out a loan to cover 100% of your tuition fees. The vast majority of students do. In this regard, your fees will be the same pretty much whatever uni you go to.

For your living costs, it's trickier. If you use the calculator posted above (thanks L-K!) then you can work out how much you have to live on which is based on your family income from the previous year. If your family income is less than £42,000, you'll get some form of Cambridge bursary. This is essentially free money on top of whatever loan you get. You can find out how much you'd get here, but if your household income is under £25,000, it will be £3,500 per year of free money that you never have to pay back. This is one of the most generous bursary schemes in the country.

In terms of student loans, you will get the same wherever you are in the UK, unless you live at home or study in London. How much that buys you will vary across the country: things in the north are generally cheaper than in the south. However, Cambridge is good at reducing student costs: in particular rent. In Cambridge, you tend to rent from your College, rather than on the open market, meaning that your protected from private prices as rents are subsidised by the College. You only pay for around 30 weeks per year usually, rather than a 48 or 52 week rent. Food prices in Colleges are subsidised too. How much you spend beyond that will dpedn on your lifestyle. When I was a student (5-8 years ago!) I spent literally £0 on transdport because I walked everywhere - Cambridge is super compact. I didn't spend much on going out because that wasn't my thing, but I probably spent more on books (for pleasure, not for my course) and music than other people. It's up to you what you spend your money on! Finally, Cambridge has lots of other book funds, travel grants and hardships funds, should you require them.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If you are a British student at any university, eligible for the full maintenance loan, and don't have any unusual costs then you should be fine (everyone gets full loans for tuition fees so you only have to worry about living costs and the maintenance loan should cover those). At Cambridge in particular, if you're eligible for the full loan you will also get a £3,500 and will have more than enough money. If you aren't eligible for the full loan/have additional costs then you might be OK with the partial maintenance loan/bursary/any support from your parents, but if not colleges have additional funds for people in financial difficulty. At other universities the bursaries/scholarships are rarely so generous, but you will have the option of working part-time (not an option at Cambridge, although you can work over the summer).
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Cambridge tution fees are the same as any English university and are fully covered by your student loan (think of it as a graduate tax not a normal loan).

Cambridge accommodation costs are often lower than other universities mostly because of the short terms.

Also you may qualify for a pretty generous bursary.
https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...mbridgebursary

Note: "Cambridge is committed to no one being prevented from studying here because of finances."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads