The Student Room Group

University awarded me a First, they now say that they made a maths error

So in normal years 69.5% is a first, or 68.0%, providing that "at least 50% of the credit points, weighted by Part, are derived from Module Marks in the higher class or above."

I achieved a final average of 68.7%, calculated via a 2nd year average of ~67%, a first semester average of ~68%, and a dissertation of about 73%, with all three scores weighted equally due to COVID (the Diss effectively represented the entire semester two examination).

In second year half my credits were 70%+. However in semester 1 Y3 I scored 69.87, 69.65, and 62%, but the first two units are listed officially as 70 & 70 on the uni systems.

What seems to have happened is that despite the Diss being weighted as 50% of 3rd year, they did upgrades based on credits, not weighting (I therefore did 45 credits first semester, 30 2nd) and they assumed that the two 70s were 70.0+, not 69.5-69.99, and hence upgraded me to a First (because including those two modules as a First 70%+ of my degree was scored as a First).

I was emailed that I received a first on the 21st of July. This was also confirmed by the classification link later on that day on the intranet showing that I had a First (both the email and the link online are archived). The exact phrasing was that "The University of XYZ **has** awarded you the following (First in [Subject])**

However between midday on the 6th and midday on the 7th my classification on the intranet changed to telling me that no classification was available, and today I got an email saying that those two module grades may not be counted as Firsts, and as a result only 43% of my modules were at a First level and I will likely be downgraded.

The only issue is that I've secured a great job in this nightmare of an employment market off of graduating with a First, and they have said that if my transcript shows a 2.1 the offer will be withdrawn.

Adding to the issue is that appeals based on procedural grounds (i.e. failure of process or calculation) can only be done within 14 days of the 21st of July, my degree classification changed either within the last 12 hours of that period (with no alert) or just after, hence no appeal can be heard.

I just feel so screwed. I'm the first of my family to go to a RG, first to graduate from a Uni with a First, and now if I'm downgraded I've lost my great job but it'll also appear like I've been lying for clout despite not deserving it.

The uni made a mistake (a slight one, weighted as they calculated my overall average 72% of my modules were 69.5%+), I just don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Challenge it anyway. I know the appeals procedure says what it says, bu they have moved the goalposts at the last second, and this is a legitimate procedural challenge. Try anyway.
Reply 2
Annoyingly I may have had extenuating circumstances for the first semester grades, in the week before I submitted some coursework for the modules that were 0.13% & 0.35% away from 70% my sibling was hospitalised & at the time we thought they were made infertile in a car crash where they fractured their pelvis into six pieces (they're fine now, young people are surprisingly bendy and mend well, thank god). But I didn't apply for EC at the time due to my mental state & that I believed that both modules counted as a First, not a 69.5-69.99 2:1.

I've contacted my SU and they told me that my appeal would be too late (because it would be after the 6th). My personal tutor changed twice in 3 years, and he has now left the uni to go to Asia and is unlikely to respond. I just feel like I've spent £50k (incl. maintenance) to get royally screwed.
Prepare for the worst, you might have to take the L. Sucks when it comes to tiny margins like this. Go for a masters degree or higher if you want to really increase your competitiveness.
very unlucky. it's very rare that uni make a mistake like that, but worth making a complaint, highly doubt the outcome will change but still 2:1 is pretty good and high 2:1 is even more good
Deeper than the Mariana trench that.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Annoyingly I may have had extenuating circumstances for the first semester grades, in the week before I submitted some coursework for the modules that were 0.13% & 0.35% away from 70% my sibling was hospitalised & at the time we thought they were made infertile in a car crash where they fractured their pelvis into six pieces (they're fine now, young people are surprisingly bendy and mend well, thank god). But I didn't apply for EC at the time due to my mental state & that I believed that both modules counted as a First, not a 69.5-69.99 2:1.

I've contacted my SU and they told me that my appeal would be too late (because it would be after the 6th). My personal tutor changed twice in 3 years, and he has now left the uni to go to Asia and is unlikely to respond. I just feel like I've spent £50k (incl. maintenance) to get royally screwed.

Right, but the time limit is there from a set point, viz. the time your mark is released. They have effectively rereleased your mark, and effectively gave you (not everyone, just you) no opportunity to appeal the procedural point. You are thus at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the student body, who all had the statutory period in which they might appeal. You lost that period. I'd challenge it and push that argument. It's worth trying.
Reply 7
The uni has made a mistake. I think an apology & explanation is necessary. As for the job that you were hoping for; I am truly sorry about that. Just an awkward and unfortunate mistake. Explain to the employer so they don't suspect you of lying.

But, with the greatest of respect and sympathy, I don't see why a 68.7% should ever be regarded as a first. I don't understand the weighings. Would you mind to explain the numbers as I couldn't follow you. You may be able to squeeze into the first category through rounding with a "69.50%" - but I think 68 is a liberty! A 68 is a respectable 2.1. This kind of thing devalues a first.
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
Right, but the time limit is there from a set point, viz. the time your mark is released. They have effectively rereleased your mark, and effectively gave you (not everyone, just you) no opportunity to appeal the procedural point. You are thus at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the student body, who all had the statutory period in which they might appeal. You lost that period. I'd challenge it and push that argument. It's worth trying.

Absolutely. The time limit will not be an issue. Any academic reviewing the appeal will respect this point.
So in normal years 69.5% is a first, or 68.0%, providing that "at least 50% of the credit points, weighted by Part, are derived from Module Marks in the higher class or above."

I achieved a final average of 68.7%, calculated via a 2nd year average of ~67%, a first semester average of ~68%, and a dissertation of about 73%, with all three scores weighted equally due to COVID (the Diss effectively represented the entire semester two examination).

In second year half my credits were 70%+. However in semester 1 Y3 I scored 69.87, 69.65, and 62%, but the first two units are listed officially as 70 & 70 on the uni systems.

What seems to have happened is that despite the Diss being weighted as 50% of 3rd year, they did upgrades based on credits, not weighting (I therefore did 45 credits first semester, 30 2nd) and they assumed that the two 70s were 70.0+, not 69.5-69.99, and hence upgraded me to a First (because including those two modules as a First 70%+ of my degree was scored as a First).

I was emailed that I received a first on the 21st of July. This was also confirmed by the classification link later on that day on the intranet showing that I had a First (both the email and the link online are archived). The exact phrasing was that "The University of XYZ **has** awarded you the following (First in [Subject])**

However between midday on the 6th and midday on the 7th my classification on the intranet changed to telling me that no classification was available, and today I got an email saying that those two module grades may not be counted as Firsts, and as a result only 43% of my modules were at a First level and I will likely be downgraded.

The only issue is that I've secured a great job in this nightmare of an employment market off of graduating with a First, and they have said that if my transcript shows a 2.1 the offer will be withdrawn.

Adding to the issue is that appeals based on procedural grounds (i.e. failure of process or calculation) can only be done within 14 days of the 21st of July, my degree classification changed either within the last 12 hours of that period (with no alert) or just after, hence no appeal can be heard.

I just feel so screwed. I'm the first of my family to go to a RG, first to graduate from a Uni with a First, and now if I'm downgraded I've lost my great job but it'll also appear like I've been lying for clout despite not deserving it.

The uni made a mistake (a slight one, weighted as they calculated my overall average 72% of my modules were 69.5%+), I just don't know what to do.

It seems a bit harsh of your potential employers to ask for a 1st and then withdraw the offer because of no fault of your own.

You certainly have a case an need to write to the academic registrar of your uni to formally complain. You are being misled due to a uni error and you are not at fault.

the nuclear option is that you threaten to go to the press. The mail online love stories like this.
Original post by mike23mike
It seems a bit harsh of your potential employers to ask for a 1st and then withdraw the offer because of no fault of your own.

You certainly have a case an need to write to the academic registrar of your uni to formally complain. You are being misled due to a uni error and you are not at fault.

the nuclear option is that you threaten to go to the press. The mail online love stories like this.

Oh god, the daily mail website... Full of pop up ads everywhere that get in the way of the articles! Usually a toxic comment section too, ugh.

I would make a complaint that the 14 days should go from the date you were notified of the mistake as you were de facto denied an opportunity to appeal. Throw something in about natural justice.

That said I believe your actual complaint is weak because your request for a first is based on taking advantage of a mistake and not on academic merit.

I would allow it to be heard to be heard and then deny that actual appeal, my cat agrees.
I have a resolution, there will be other people in a similar situation that won't get such a positive resolution.

So I emailed the student office of my school and got the procedure used for awarding Firsts this year, which I've paraphrased below:

1. Calculate no detriment average (2:1 Y3S1:Y2) & enhanced average (1:1:1 Y3S1: Diss:Y2). Take forward the higher of the two.

2. Is the average 69.5+? If so -> First, if 68.00 - 69.49 -> step 3, if 67.99 or less -> 2.1

3. Are half the modules weighted by year and cats (not weighted as the average was calculated) at 70.0 or higher? If so -> First, if 40-49% weighted by credit are -> step 4, if fewer than 40% -> 2.1

4. Look at Y3S2 work submitted compared to their peers, if performing in the top 20-25% of their modules -> First, if not -> 2.1

So that email from them seems to have been jumping the gun a bit. Someone in the senate clearly brought up whether modules that were passed with 69.50 -> 69.99 should count in step 3, and the senate decided in the opposite direction to my school (so concluded that they shouldn't). As a result they sent out emails to what were clearly a very small number of us edge cases telling us that we had been downgraded.

However the oversight was that if in the original process we failed at step 3 but had 40-49% Firsts we'd progress to step 4 and they forgot to do that. Since I was averaging 77 across the 1.7 modules completed in semester 2 (out of a total of 4 in non-COVID times) I therefore got my First at step 4 once I brought it up to the School. They said that they'd do a similar recalculation for the other person in my School that fell into such an edge case, and share what had happened with the other Schools at the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest