Is this a mental disability?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are autistic people mentally disabled?
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It is classified as a disability yes, but wouldn't say mentally disabled as that's a bit derogatory as autism is a wide spectrum where some can function pretty much fine throughout their life. It mainly comes under a learning/cognitive disability, but it is still different from person to person.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It's a Learning Disability like dyslexia etc, not a Mental Disability like BPD or Bipolar.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think you should be asking the person who has the condition if they feel like it is a disability to them or not. my sister wouldn't say she has a disability and in most circumstances, I wouldn't say being dyspraxic/dyslexic makes me disabled but you could feel that way depending on the situation.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
It's a Learning Disability like dyslexia etc, not a Mental Disability like BPD or Bipolar.
BPD and Bipolar are not a "mental disability" they are a disorder. To suggest such is pretty offensive.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The classification of autism seems to vary depending on what you read (research versus personal accounts etc.). Some call it a pervasive developmental disorder, learning disability, social/communication disorder, neurodevelopmental condition...

If you are an individual with autism, I would say that you can choose which (if any) you prefer.
petertyerman
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
disability is related to how it affects your function and how last longer than a year . It is not related to the label applied. Autism is a disability as the diagnosis depends on the effect being significant enough to affect your function in society and is long lasting. Hence mental disability is not a "thing" it is linking two things which are not linked. Mental illness of any type can be a disability if they are persistent and affect your function in society. Disability and mental conditions are not related to intellectual ability. Thus you can have high or low abilities with either.
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
FYI: I’ve worked for both autism diagnostic services, learning disability assessment, community and inpatient services.

Autism is not classified as a learning disability on its own. You can have autism and/ or a learning disability. But having autism does not mean you have a learning disability.

Autism is a very broad spectrum. From very limited skills to extremely intelligent people who can excel at things such as academics.

You wouldn’t call an autistic person mentally disabled.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You can't really generalise because autism is a very broad spectrum of condtions so a lot will depend on whether the person sees themselves as having a disability and how it affects their day to day life.
Hincender
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's generally considered more of a "neurological disorder" than a mental illness, which may sound more insulting, but perhaps that is a simple semantical argument, anyway that description of "mental illness" is less commonly used in this case, to my knowledge.
Last edited by Hincender; 1 year ago
GremlinIAMH
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No, it's considered a persuasive developmental disability and effects multiple things not just the brain
username5283910
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm ADHD and I think it is classed as neurological disorder like my diagnosis. Lots of people say neither exist as well and they are not professionals, so I think if it impairs you enough under the equality act 2010 you can define as a disability if it's the individuals case.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
BPD and Bipolar are not a "mental disability" they are a disorder. To suggest such is pretty offensive.
The UK government defines a mental disability as follows: "a mental health condition is considered a disability if it has a long-term effect on your normal day-to-day activity. This is defined under the Equality Act 2010."

Also I have Bipolar. My partner has BPD and is unable to work and both of the conditions have an impact on our day to day activities. It also does with all the other people I know with either condition hence why I class it as a disability and no-one I know would find it offensive.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone with either whose activities aren't impacted in some way by either condition.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
The UK government defines a mental disability as follows: "a mental health condition is considered a disability if it has a long-term effect on your normal day-to-day activity. This is defined under the Equality Act 2010."

Also I have Bipolar. My partner has BPD and is unable to work and both of the conditions have an impact on our day to day activities. It also does with all the other people I know with either condition hence why I class it as a disability and no-one I know would find it offensive.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone with either whose activities aren't impacted in some way by either condition.
Why can’t he work?
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Autism is not a learning disability (though can be associated with learning disabilities)
username4986690
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Just because it limits you does not mean it limits everyone, using such blanket statements is not appropriate.

It is quite different to say one has been disabled by a mental health condition and one is mentally disabled, the latter is quite stigmatising.
username5283910
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yh I don't understand why people with BPD can't work if they have relationships etc? my cousin has this and I think the you should get support when down but not just constantly on benifit is silly. because iv had serious issues worse than this and been told to fend for myself and seriously needed some support yet because I don't have a diagnosis like this I don't get help. yet alot of the time he's fine yet plays the system...

I don't think people should be favoured one way or another based on diagnosis' and councils should hire better fairer systems to offer support for people when needed. people who decide on support are so ignorant it's unbelievable. it's a shame you need help one point in life yet one person's definition of equality act can be detrimental.
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iforgetiwasbored)
because iv had serious issues worse than this
I would think very hard before saying something like this. BPD affects people differently and can be incredibly disabling for some (and can also seriously disrupt the lives of people around the person with it). I'm sorry you have struggled to get the support that you need (are you seeing anyone about the difficulties you are having and trying to pursue a diagnosis if you feel it is required?), but to suggest that someone's problems are not serious when you have not been in their shoes is quite callous and naive, to say the least.
username5283910
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by black tea)
I would think very hard before saying something like this. BPD affects people differently and can be incredibly disabling for some (and can also seriously disrupt the lives of people around the person with it). I'm sorry you have struggled to get the support that you need (are you seeing anyone about the difficulties you are having and trying to pursue a diagnosis if you feel it is required?), but to suggest that someone's problems are not serious when you have not been in their shoes is quite callous and naive, to say the least.
no I'm not comparing it to ADHD or any other disorder. I'm mean actual problems and yes my life has not been great. what I'm saying is a specific disorder shouldn't mean u just get help or a bias to give help towards. I'm not nocking ppl I'm knocking the process.

yh I got help with ADHD as adult bit by then too many life choices.and other life problems have happened. I'm not comparing my disorder, not the slightest.

I mean extenuating compounding circumstances can be just as malicious as one disorder alone. I'm sorry but what I'm saying is iv seen my cousin with BPD live fulfilling life, yet I can't get help for other things that have happened to me. what I'm saying is to give help based on a diagnosis or predisposition is unfair in a system and really berate other extenuating circumstances. ESP since I'd say I know ppl that overplay disorders or disease etc.

I'm using my cousin as a comparison for the arguement due to insight, because if you compare my quality of life to his it seems unfair for treatment, ESP since he has access capital for drugs etc. I'm not saying all people with BPD, that's not my point for comparison, I'm saying how they system helps only certain people, it's very unfair and the way it has treated me. eg I got gaslighted as a drug user and psychosis because I. had ADHD by NHS. and they was wrong yet no apology. I was disbelieved about something that happened yet no help after because I'm male.
Last edited by username5283910; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed