Blabla1666666666
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’ve passed my theory recently and I’m confused whether to do manual or automatic. I’ve heard it’s hard to pass manual. Some people are telling me to do automatic as manual cars are dying out - I thought it could be good to know how to drive manual to you can drive both.
Anyone wants to share their opinion?
Last edited by Blabla1666666666; 2 months ago
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Blabla1666666666)
I’ve passed my driving test recently and I’m confused whether to do manual or automatic. I’ve heard it’s hard to pass manual. Some people are telling me to do automatic as manual cars are dying out - I thought it could be good to know how to drive manual to you can drive both.
but you say you've passed your driving test?
Blabla1666666666
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
but you say you've passed your driving test?
Oops my bad I wanted To wrote driving test theory 😓
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, manual cars are dying out. Go for the automatic.
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
go automatic
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would always say to pass in a manual if you’re able to. You can then drive automatics if you want and it’s covered by your licence. If you pass in an automatic then you’ll only be able to drive automatic cars.

Manual is technically more difficult with the gears but the whole aspect of driving is the same. Personally, I prefer manual cars and hated being limited to an automatic when I was abroad. It felt lazy and that I wasn’t fully driving the car.

Each to their own but best to have more strings to your bow and be able to drive both. You might even enjoy driving a manual once you pass and get more experience.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd say manual but that is because I actually like driving as opposed to just pointing the car and giving it a bit of power.
If you might ever want to drive an unusual or old vehicle, maybe a classic, then you would need a manual qualification. Specifying auto only can limit your choice of hire cars, camper vans, whatever you might want to do in the future.
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Always go for manual. You’ll be putting yourself at a fair disadvantage by prohibiting yourself from diving manuals. Manuals are dying out, yes, but they’re not going to disappear over night. They’ll still be prevalent for a least another 10-15 years. I’m not sure on your age either, but if you’re young, manuals are both cheaper for the car itself, and the insurance. Especially if you’ve just passed.
drivingstress
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Get a manual, opens up a far wider range of cars and there's nothing to stop you driving and automatic if you pass on a manual, the other way round and you're screwed.

Also quite a few jobs require manual driving licenses. Eventually manual transmission will die out, but were not so close to that point, it's worth sacrificing a far wider range of cars to pass your test a bit easier.
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Manual because then you can drive both manual and automatic
Yas031119
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i personally would go for automatic, because i'm planning to learn manual and drive automatic, in the future manual cars will eventually die out, manual is not harder necessarily it just takes longer to pass, because there are more basics you need to master first, automatic is quicker to pass in terms of the practical test because it's pretty much more straightforward

if you can, get a manual licence and then drive automatic because if you hold a automatic licence you cannot drive manual.
Last edited by Yas031119; 2 months ago
OxMus
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Go for a manual.

Sure, automatic cars are becoming more common, but manual gearboxes are not difficult to use, and it means you can drive any car.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
manual will never die out. manual cars are cheaper to buy and are more fun to drive
Geraldthegoat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes if u do manual then u can drive automatic but if u drive automatic u can’t drive manual
EliteBoy8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Blabla1666666666)
I’ve passed my theory recently and I’m confused whether to do manual or automatic. I’ve heard it’s hard to pass manual. Some people are telling me to do automatic as manual cars are dying out - I thought it could be good to know how to drive manual to you can drive both.
GO MANUAL. I plan on learning manual although I will be mainly driving automatic because it seems easier and more convenient. However passing manual has more benefits since you will be able to drive any vehicle and even if you forget after a long time, it will take you around 2-3hours to learn it back.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Learn manual, drive auto (IMO) Auto only pass rates are crap in comparison.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Learn manual, drive auto (IMO) Auto only pass rates are crap in comparison.
Auto only pass rates only tend to be lower as they attract less confident drivers.
moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you learn manual, you will be allowed to drive manual and automatic.

If you learn automatic, your license will only be limited to automatics.

I recommend learning manual - it is the harder one, which is why it's best to get to grips with that
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheDE)
Auto only pass rates only tend to be lower as they attract less confident drivers.
GOOD!

I get what you mean though, I have a hunch that a lot of the drivers who 'just can't' drive stick also 'just can't' do a lot of other important things .
Joy L
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did a manual test and passed however now my first car is an automatic mini cooper. Now i've driven automatic i'd ever do gears again! (people drive like looneys on the road, it's hard enough dodging them whilst driving, let alone having to do gears too!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.42%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (254)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed