The Student Room Group

Automatic or manual?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say go manual to keep your options open. I struggled when I first started learning and didn't have access to a manual to practice in, so now I drive auto on an auto licence. But it would be nice to have a manual one
Reply 21
Whether you go for manual or automatic you will sit the same driving test, be assessed against the same marking sheet (DL125) as well as have to do the same maneuvers and follow the same Highway Code to the exact same standard as any other.

Manual really isn't that hard to learn tbh unless you've some sort of disability or a real issue with confidence. (If you aren't confident driving then why bother?)

Understanding gears really takes 15 minutes but learning how to properly control the clutch shouldn't be more than one or two sessions, also as we all know manual cars will (a) not go out of fashion anytime soon (not within the next few years at least) and (b) manual cars are a Hell of a lot cheaper and better than automatics when you are considering a first car. Greater choice; can easily get a 2008 Ford KA for £300 as opposed to a 1999 Skoda whatever for £999.

This said I refute the following:

> "What if you're out with a mate and they fall ill and can't drive but their car is a manual???" - This is such a hypothetical I can't even.

> "Manual cars will die out soon" - Eventually there will be more automatics in the marketplace but no, this isn't exactly going to happen in the near future. Distant future, probs.

> "What if you are on holiday and want to hire a car???" - Hire an auto. If they don't have any then try another hire company?

Look at your needs and expectations (re driving) and chop through the hysteria on both sides and you'll find it easier to make a decision. This said I'd much prefer to learn to use a manual. It offers more choice in terms of motor and for me personally, I need a full manual for work so it suits me.

Good luck and happy learning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending