The Student Room Group

Organisational Psychology to Clinical Psychology possible

I am wondering whether anyone has made this transition before? I went to Reading university and got my BSc in Psychology (2:1). I also did various bits of work experience; working in CAMHS and volunteered with an organization that provides supported living, co-living and outreach services for adults. After my degree I went into a Org Psych Consulting firm and have worked in the field for about 6 years. A couple of years ago I did my Masters in Business Psychology (Merit) and moved into an innovation/research position at another consulting firm. After working in the field for this long I feel my heart really isn't in it and I what I really want to be doing is Clinical Psychology. A couple of my modules at masters level touched on neuroscience and cognition and abnormal psych, which is what I am really passionate about. I've been looking at doctorates and it seems that I would need to get more experience working in a clinical setting to be considered. Does anyone have any experience or advice about making a move like this? Would my professional/life experience be acceptable? Thank you!!
Someone who has already made this transition would be able to comment better than I, but of course it's possible. You already have GBC status, so it would be a matter of getting some relevant experience (min 1 yr). The course profiles on the Leeds Clearing House website will list some relevant job titles. It would also be beneficial to have some supervision from a Clinical Psychologist.

Quick Reply

Latest