The Student Room Group

Nursing as Second Degree - Repayments of Tution Fees and Living Loans

Hi I completed a BSc in Psychology in June 2017. I then worked full time for a few years and I'm now actually back at university again doing another BSc in Adult Nursing. The funding for nursing has changed so that they are entitled to exactly the same maintenance/tuition loans as everyone else doing regular degrees instead of NHS funding/bursaries etc. It's also recently changed so that if you hold a previous degree, you can study a degree in nursing as if it was your first degree so to say, so that you get all the same funding over again. This wouldn't be possible if you were doing another regular degree.

My question is what will the circumstances be with repaying my loan? Will I have to repay both of my loans from both degrees at the same time as in pay 18% over anything I earn over 21K or will it stay at 9% as if I'd done one degree and I pay back one before the other?

And how will this working with my living loans... essentially after I graduate what % of my income will go to paying back tuition and living loans?

I'm struggling to find anything anywhere online that tells me this information. Could anyone help me with this question? Thanks
Original post by hellogsbhere
Hi I completed a BSc in Psychology in June 2017. I then worked full time for a few years and I'm now actually back at university again doing another BSc in Adult Nursing. The funding for nursing has changed so that they are entitled to exactly the same maintenance/tuition loans as everyone else doing regular degrees instead of NHS funding/bursaries etc. It's also recently changed so that if you hold a previous degree, you can study a degree in nursing as if it was your first degree so to say, so that you get all the same funding over again. This wouldn't be possible if you were doing another regular degree.

My question is what will the circumstances be with repaying my loan? Will I have to repay both of my loans from both degrees at the same time as in pay 18% over anything I earn over 21K or will it stay at 9% as if I'd done one degree and I pay back one before the other?

And how will this working with my living loans... essentially after I graduate what % of my income will go to paying back tuition and living loans?

I'm struggling to find anything anywhere online that tells me this information. Could anyone help me with this question? Thanks

it's 9% after the 21k threshold as the two loans are added together so you might not end up paying the loans from your second degree off.
Thank you Claire! Do you know if 9% is the tuition and living loans added together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending