HallieMarie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so I'm doing an MA and had planned to go into teaching. However, I won't go into it but it's been 5 years of me trying to get experience etc. I can't keep doing this (especially considering schools won't be letting people in now more than ever-not that they did anyway). I just feel kind of disillusioned with the whole thing. I'm hoping to move to England because that's where I want to live (currently live in Wales). But I'm finding it difficult as I'm applying for houses (private rent)-sometimes I contact estate agents right after a house has been uploaded online and they tell me it's already gone. Open rent is exactly the same-I message them and they never reply. So I'm wondering what else I can do with my degree? I have an English and Education BA and either a PGDip/Masters English Lit.

It's making me doubt whether I want to go into education for a career.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HallieMarie)
Okay so I'm doing an MA and had planned to go into teaching. However, I won't go into it but it's been 5 years of me trying to get experience etc. I can't keep doing this (especially considering schools won't be letting people in now more than ever-not that they did anyway). I just feel kind of disillusioned with the whole thing. I'm hoping to move to England because that's where I want to live (currently live in Wales). But I'm finding it difficult as I'm applying for houses (private rent)-sometimes I contact estate agents right after a house has been uploaded online and they tell me it's already gone. Open rent is exactly the same-I message them and they never reply. So I'm wondering what else I can do with my degree? I have an English and Education BA and either a PGDip/Masters English Lit.

Hello HallieMarie
You do not need to have experience of working in a school to be able to get onto a teacher training course. While it's useful in confirming that it's the right environment for you to want to work in, it's not part of the course requirements in England. (It is in Wales still)
It sounds like the accommodation issue is more of a challenge. Which areas are you looking to relocate to? Would you consider house shares? Might the provider to whom you apply have student accommodation available?
I hope that you are able to overcome your disillusionment.
Jane
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t have to have experience in a school (it helps but it isn’t essential) and lots of candidates will have struggled recently to gain experience due to Covid.

It might be a bit late to apply for September but you might be able to find some spare places. Otherwise, applications open in October and it’s better if you can apply early.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HallieMarie)

To reiterate what everyone else has said, experience isn't compulsory and especially in these times, you are one of a number of people in the same position struggling to get classroom experience due to covid. It's out of your control so honestly do not worry about this as providers will understand that this has not been at all possible since March and for the foreseeable future.

The good thing is you are trying to, which shows great initiative and eagerness.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you applied for a place on a course yet? Everyone knows how hard it is to get experience. So apply and once you have an offer, use that to go into a school.

There is no hard and fast rule that states you must have experience before applying.
writer800
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, if it helps at all. I applied very late this year and had no experience working in a school. I got offers from all 3 PGCE courses (2 in Wales, 1 in England). I think they look for enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and understand teaching and academia just as much as experience. There will be a mix of people on the course and you’ll learn from each other’s experiences.

I have been coaching for 2 years but the athletes have been 8 & 9 years old and I applied for Secondary English.

I wouldn’t be worried about not having experience and if you really want to be a teacher, go ahead and apply!
DrTomato
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe you could look for a teaching assistant role? My sister did that before her PGCE.

I did a CELTA then taught overseas. That's good preparation for the PGCE but sadly that door is largely closed right now.

Alternatively just apply and be prepared to be thrown in the deep end like I was when I did my CELTA with no prior teaching experience. It would help if you have subject specific knowledge, especially for secondary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.43%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.57%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
51.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise