Laycity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
Flipping heck, a 13.7% increase in the pass rate for Advanced Highers compared to the 2019 results
Yep, which naturally devalues the results unfortunately. The universities have also got a bit of a problem now as they will have over offered.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow. I hate to sound bitter, but that is fantastically unfair on every other cohort.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
gosh
what's going to happen then if they've missed their offer but now will meet it :ninja:
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 1 month ago
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Laycity)
Yep, which naturally devalues the results unfortunately. The universities have also got a bit of a problem now as they will have over offered.
Yup I can see that that will be a problem, especially for the Scottish universities
Anna augustine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
They will leave upgraded awards be, but downgraded awards will be replaced with the original teacher estimates.
I got exactly what i had gotten in the prelims for most of my subjects. The teachers estimates were a band or two higher than the results i got. Would i still be able to make an appeal?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna augustine)
N

No, what i meant was. What if the results you got on the 4th by the sqa was lower than the target grade your teachers had for you in the end of term reports after prelims. Would i still be able to make an appeal?
It depends on what they put in as your teacher estimate. Target grades & teacher estimates aren't necessarily the same
Anna augustine
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
It depends on what they put in as your teacher estimate. Target grades & teacher estimates aren't necessarily the same
Oo ok. We are all returning back to school on the 15th. I'll ask my teachers what their estimates were. Ty for the reply:gthumb:
highlighters0312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surely Ofqual have to follow? Scottish students will compete with english students and that won’t be fair if the english students were downgraded and the scottish not.
highlighters0312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To clarify: compete for uni places
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by highlighters0312)
Surely Ofqual have to follow? Scottish students will compete with english students and that won’t be fair if the english students were downgraded and the scottish not.
I doubt it - they are their own entities with their own processes
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To clarify: compete for uni places
Bear in mind in England we're allowed to sit the autumn exams whereas this wasn't an option for those in Scotland. However, I become if there's enough backlash on results day in England- the same might follow
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hoping Ofqual follow suit, not to sure if they will. We’ll see on Thursday for A-Level students.
Flk10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Awarding the teacher estimate grades is probably the best option for this year, but it isn't necessarily fair to students who have sat their exams in the past or will do in the future.

Many of the teacher estimates were clearly over-generous so this year's cohort will potentially be at an unfair advantage as they have been awarded grades that they would never have achieved if exams had gone ahead.
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flk10)
Awarding the teacher estimate grades is probably the best option for this year, but it isn't necessarily fair to students who have sat their exams in the past or will do in the future.

Many of the teacher estimates were clearly over-generous so this year's cohort will potentially be at an unfair advantage as they have been awarded grades that they would never have achieved if exams had gone ahead.
It just devalues the grades...

Also, it's just really unfair for next year? If this happens in England too, we'll all be competing against people with amazing grades which they don't necessarily deserve (in lots of cases - probably at least 12% of that 13.7%). Do you think we'll have A**s and 10s soon, to cancel it out?
Last edited by theJoyfulGeek; 1 month ago
Laycity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think they will be extremely worried now and there is going to be some significant media pressure on Thursday. They have already said they have reduced the A and A* grades from 37% to the 'normal' 25%.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well done scotland... you have managed to make grades useless for a year of students.

well not really - because employers won't remember which year this was in 5-10 years time, so what really has just happened is a whole cohort of students were just unfiarly given grades that they didn't deserved.. because the scottish goverment is incompetant and scared.

That's not to say the last crack at it was perfect... going based on school location was always a stupid thing... but instead of just scrapping and going with teachers grades, which we all know - and are provably - way to high... they should have taken a second crack and moderating the system slightly, but by a fairer metric then the wealth of your schools area.

Its amazing how weak and lacking in authority/confidence our goverments are... a few complaining students is enough to make them all terrified..
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Reading the replies, I can see the problem now. I could have just done higher english then get estimated an A but lowered to a C or something but actually get an A because they are reversing.

Victory royale.
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this year is a total farce- how are anyones grades valid now? I feel like any A's, even if you would have got that, are just going to be seen as pandering because of this ruling
do you guys think unis will look more at Advanced Highers to sort the men from the boys so to speak?
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
I doubt it - they are their own entities with their own processes
With the student and media outcry of the Scots last week, who knows Ofqual and the English Govt. might bow down to the pressure.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flk10)

I do agree but I guess it’s not a popular opinion ... in Scotland anyway 🥴
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (20)
22.73%
No (68)
77.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed