Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IbeIC123)
I don’t want to play devils advocate but the prelim(mock) grades should’ve been used to prevent this fiasco
I agree and disagree. There would be a lot of complaints because of: „I would have done better in may’s exam” paranoia.
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t want to play devils advocate but the prelim(mock) grades should’ve been used to prevent this fiasco
Then again many students don’t try in their mocks and some cheat.
Rumaan Yusaf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
Wow would this happen for the A levels too??
If they mess up really badly like the SQA did, then probably yes. But if they don’t, then no. Remember they’re 2 different Governments and just because one does something doesn’t mean the other will necessarily follow along (only the case for devolved matters).
IbeIC123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RiyadRags)
I can see that but progress between January - May is omitted, which would leave 'crammers' who didn't do too well subject to poor grades or their teachers trying to inform otherwise

I do agree that it would give a good outline to performance though.
The SQA should’ve also marked the coursework which is about a quarter of the final mark and many had been finished prior to lockdown
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xavrr)
Being able to sit the Autumn series is in no way comparable to this Scottish move. Sitting the exams means sacrificing your university place for not even a guaranteed improvement. Scottish pupils have been simply let off with a 13.7% higher pass rate and a complete lack of moderation of the biased and unfair teacher predicted grades.
True I really hope the rest of the UK doesn't follow suit.
IbeIC123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HolaNeinoa)
Then again many students don’t try in their mocks and some cheat.
Yeh but it’s better than making the exams useless or ridiculously downgrading people who were deserving of their grade
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Worth saying the pass rate isn't necessarily the same as the proportion of students getting different grades each year. A single statistic can't tell you everything about the results this year.
True since it inherently measures the margin C-D and isn't informative about the distribution of grades A-C or D and below.

But a 12% point increase in pass rates in exams is another way of saying that 12% of exams marked went from D to C or above. This is less than the proportion of grades adjusted since C to B is not counted.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Schools set mocks very differently and at different times so the data would not have been comparable between schools. Even in a single school I know different department have different strategies - e.g. make to hard and the grades low to kick students into action vs. tell them the questions before hand so the results look good and the head isn't on my back about the poor results.
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
pineapplepink
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what an absolute shambles
IbeIC123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
Schools set mocks very differently and at different times so the data would not have been comparable between schools. even in one school I know different department have different strategies - e.g. make to hard and the grades low to kick students into action vs. tell them the questions before hand so the results look good and the head isn't on my back about the poor results.
Most prelims are actually made by companies so the unbiased prior attainment of that data may have been useful
highlighters0312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prelims arentstandardized ( for my mocks some teachers made the papers themselves) don’t include all content / might include content u taught and people do cheat.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most prelims are actually made by companies so the unbiased prior attainment of that data may have been usefulThat may be the case for
That may be the case for Scotland but it's not for England
highlighters0312
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t agree at all that the Autumn exams are comparable to getting your CAGs - we haven’t been in school for months, no teacher support - most schools stopped teaching GCSE content and moved onto bridging material. Also if you’re on an international board you have AS exams in October and Jan so that’s a clash.
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For my ESOL, SQA specimen paper was used to do prelims so this shouldn’t be used as everybody seen it and could cheat.
highlighters0312
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What does everyone think will happen next year?
or is it a waiting game
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by highlighters0312)
or is it a waiting game
I guess it will depend on the coronavirus situation but at the moment, 2021 SQA exam will go as planned.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
or is it a waiting game
I doubt they will return to this daft teacher prediction for final qualifications system next year - look at the mess it has caused!
pineapplepink
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
or is it a waiting game
I hope that the exams will go ahead- it would be perfectly possible even if the pandemic was still raging. You could make use of buildings like community centres and have few people doing an exam in the same space. Then electronic marking
but it is a waiting game :|
Yukikobestgirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
I agree and disagree. There would be a lot of complaints because of: „I would have done better in may’s exam” paranoia.
tbf with my a levels I failed an ICT mock and then got 90% on the actual exam lol
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I bet the UK government are quickly getting in touch with exam boards to change their results to make it look like they had a “better” system of standardising so there is less back lash...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (12)
18.46%
No (53)
81.54%

Watched Threads