How to get into accounting & finance as a science postgrad?

Watch
nevster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a bachelors degree in biomedical sciences and have had a change of heart and decided that accountancy is the career I want to pursue. What's the best way to go about this? I have tried to research this myself but found it all a bit confusing... I understand that I need to get ACA and other professional qualifications, but what's the best way to get these? Should I apply for an Accounting & Finance MSc conversion course? Do I need to get a training contract with a company? Are the online courses worth it?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nevster)
I have a bachelors degree in biomedical sciences and have had a change of heart and decided that accountancy is the career I want to pursue. What's the best way to go about this? I have tried to research this myself but found it all a bit confusing... I understand that I need to get ACA and other professional qualifications, but what's the best way to get these? Should I apply for an Accounting & Finance MSc conversion course? Do I need to get a training contract with a company? Are the online courses worth it?
What are you grades (A level, degree and GCSE maths and English)?

I'd avoid Mscs and other courses at this stage and focus on applying for jobs which pay for your professional training and see how you can become a strong candidate for them.
nevster
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What are you grades (A level, degree and GCSE maths and English)?

I'd avoid Mscs and other courses at this stage and focus on applying for jobs which pay for your professional training and see how you can become a strong candidate for them.
I have good GCSEs and A levels and a 1st in my degree. Can you recommend where to start looking for jobs that would pay for my training?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have good GCSEs and A levels and a 1st in my degree. Can you recommend where to start looking for jobs that would pay for my training?
The first thing to do is to look through the websites of, say, the largest 10 accounting firms, and a few smaller ones and see if that interests you. I think the ICAEW also have a webpage with some details.

https://www.accountancyage.com/ranki...firms-2017-10/
https://careers.icaew.com/how-to-bec...s%20of%20exams.

Then look for some graduate employers where you work for a company and see if that is also of interest. Most large companies have schemes.

You could also try the GAAPweb and reed websites for your area and see if anyone is advertising.

A very valuable thing to do, on top of background research, is to arrange to speak with a number of people who work as accountants (ideally qualified ones) who can give you some insight into the profession.
nevster
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
The first thing to do is to look through the websites of, say, the largest 10 accounting firms, and a few smaller ones and see if that interests you. I think the ICAEW also have a webpage with some details.

https://www.accountancyage.com/ranki...firms-2017-10/
https://careers.icaew.com/how-to-bec...s%20of%20exams.

Then look for some graduate employers where you work for a company and see if that is also of interest. Most large companies have schemes.

You could also try the GAAPweb and reed websites for your area and see if anyone is advertising.

A very valuable thing to do, on top of background research, is to arrange to speak with a number of people who work as accountants (ideally qualified ones) who can give you some insight into the profession.
Thank you so much! This is all super helpful
ICAEW Careers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi nevster,

It's great that you are considering a career in accountancy.

At ICAEW we offer the ACA qualification - click here for more information on this.

You do not need to study accountancy or business and finance to do our qualification - we have trainee's from a wide range of degree backgrounds.

Check out our ICAEW Training Vacancies platform to see what roles are out there and what the specs are.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us using [email protected].

Best wishes,
ICAEW
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (1)
100%

Watched Threads