Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Watch
Poll: Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?
Yes they should (278)
62.19%
No they should not (128)
28.64%
Abstain (41)
9.17%
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The Scottish government have today announced they'll be withdrawing all grades for students who were given grades on results day that were below their teacher predictions.

See here for the BBC's news article on this.

Whilst there's a separate thread here to discuss this decision, I wanted to ask whether you think England, Wales and Northern Ireland are now expected to do something similar if Thursday demonstrates similar patterns of "downgrading" students based on data from previous schools results? :holmes:

Is this something you want to see happen?
Do you think it realistically will?

Post below with your thoughts.

Update: DfE confirms that they will not be doing a u-Turn similar to the Scottish government.

Update 2: Scrap the above, 4 hours was apparently too long to expect consistency in policy. New thread here with updates on what we currently do and don't know about a new policy regarding mock grades and appeals.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you add a poll to this thread, please?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
will be interesting if it does happen. i don't think it will. a little part of me would like it to happen but i know it'll be unfair
the method used this year for moderation of distribution i don't really agree with though
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 1 month ago
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Will it happen? One word : no
Should it happen? : remains to be seen the actual impact on lower socioeconomic groups in England and Wales and Northern Ireland
Last edited by DGeorge13; 1 month ago
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
The Scottish government have today announced they'll be withdrawing all grades for students who were given grades on results day that were below their teacher predictions.

See here for the BBC's news article on this.

Whilst there's a separate thread here to discuss this decision, I wanted to ask whether you think England, Wales and Northern Ireland are now expected to do something similar if Thursday demonstrates similar patterns of "downgrading" students based on data from previous schools results? :holmes:

Is this something you want to see happen?
Do you think it realistically will?

Post below with your thoughts.
English student arriving from the Scotland thread!

I think it just devalues the grades. Especially as England already has a ranking system, so it should all be fairer here?

Also, it's just really unfair for next year? If the Scotland fiasco happens in England too, we'll all be competing against people with amazing grades which they don't necessarily deserve (in lots of cases - probably at least 12% of that 13.7%).

If everybody has an A, nobody has one. The point of these examinations is to distinguish between able candidates? If everyone does equally well, there's not really any point...

At least all I have to worry about is the people getting A levels this year who are planning on deferring entry... and if all of my 9s at GCSE suddenly become worthless because everyone has them. :cry:
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
Do you think the same will happen for GCSEs? I don’t think it’s likely but I’m curious nonetheless 🧐
In many ways I hope not, but on account of the autumn exam series opportunity for students in England that Scottish students don't get I think Ofqual / DfE would be justified in not allowing the same changes to be made.
theJoyfulGeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Will it happen? One word : no
Should it happen? : remains to be seen the actual impact on lower socioeconomic groups in England and Wales and Northern Ireland
Even if it does have an impact (which it does), results from less privileged areas will never be as good as results from posh areas.

The solution to this is to ACTUALLY FIX THE PROBLEM by INVESTING MONEY, TACKLING SOCIETAL ISSUES, AND IMPROVING THOSE SCHOOLS WHICH DO BADLY, not just PRETENDING THAT THE PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST.

Sorry.
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
Even if it does have an impact (which it does), results from less privileged areas will never be as good as results from posh areas.

The solution to this is to ACTUALLY FIX THE PROBLEM by INVESTING MONEY, TACKLING SOCIETAL ISSUES, AND IMPROVING THOSE SCHOOLS WHICH DO BADLY, not just PRETENDING THAT THE PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST.

Sorry.
I never said I disagreed
04MR17
Rep:
?
The people this change disadvantages most are those who aren't going to university, in my view. Those wanting to go straight into employment will be able to have employers legitimately question whether the candidate sat in front of them actually earnt the grades they did.

For those going to uni, the unis won't care a great deal so long as they get bums on seats, and graduate recruiters won't care as much about the A Level or GCSE grades compared to a degree classification.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Could you add a poll to this thread, please?
Good idea, done.
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In many ways I hope not, but on account of the autumn exam series opportunity for students in England that Scottish students don't get I think Ofqual / DfE would be justified in not allowing the same changes to be made.
I really hope so Let’s hope they stick to their guns, though it can’t be easy...
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tough issue, the original system of judging grades based of location of school was poor. However you have to feel the complete reversal/commitment to upgrading grades is equally not the solution, and it definitely comes off as a knee-jerk to the unpopularity of the original methodology.
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, yes if Scottish people are able to have their teacher estimated grades so should the English students. With the huge backlash against the Scottish Government last week, it is almost definite that same will happen to the English government due to the standardisation process being almost identical. But I don’t think the U-turn will happen over here for English students since the government is very stubborn.
TomSR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who sat A-Levels last year, I think this would be unfair on previous and future cohorts. Results this year are said to have improved slightly even after adjustments; it would devalue grades if they are significantly higher this year.
theJoyfulGeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HolaNeinoa)
Honestly, yes if Scottish people are able to have their teacher estimated grades so should the English students. With the huge backlash against the Scottish Government last week, it is almost definite that same will happen to the English government due to the standardisation process being almost identical. But I don’t think the U-turn will happen over here for English students since the government is very stubborn.
I think that neither the Scottish nor English should have their grades upgraded. It just screws the year 10s and 12s over even more...
04MR17
Rep:
?
bums on seats
This phrase has been corrected from the original "bums up seats" that I'd written.

:oops:
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Complete cop-out. No attempt to find an actual solution but instead, do a complete u-turn in order to placate the kids and secure the young vote.

I agree with 04MR17 above - people entering the workplace straightaway might have some problems, as employers will be right to question the legitimacy of the grades presented in front of them.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 month ago
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
I think that neither the Scottish nor English should have their grades upgraded. It just screws the year 10s and 12s over even more...
In reality, none of this is fair. But come on, would you rather be given out a grade by a computer that will affect your life forever or your teacher who actually knows you and who uses their professional judgement.
TomSmith12345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If anyone thinks this is anything other than Sturgeoun trying to buy votes for independence you're deluded. The woman is dangerous and needs to be dealt with accordingly.
theJoyfulGeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HolaNeinoa)
In reality, none of this is fair. But come on, would you rather be given out a grade by a computer that will affect your life forever or your teacher who actually knows you and who uses their professional judgement.
Computer and a mathematical model! I know where I am in my year rankings (or can guess - I'm that kid everyone copies off), and sufficient people have gotten A*s for me to get them. I would want results to be as real as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.07%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.5%

Watched Threads