The Student Room Group

Can i get into law with these subjects?

I currently do the following subjects for Alevels : Sociology, Psychology and business studies. I'm worried these subjects may not get me a place at a good university for law as they aren't the most traditional subjects. Am i at an advantage or is it the grades that i end up achieving that matters?
Original post by Kishori29
I currently do the following subjects for Alevels : Sociology, Psychology and business studies. I'm worried these subjects may not get me a place at a good university for law as they aren't the most traditional subjects. Am i at an advantage or is it the grades that i end up achieving that matters?

it depends on the universities you want to go to
Reply 2

You don't need any particular subjects, as long as they are seen as 'essay subjects' which I believe all of yours are. So all you need is AAA, which is what the traditionally 'good' universities want such as Oxbridge, Exeter, etc... and then all you need to do is take the LNAT
Hope this helps (:
Reply 3

The grades matter most, unless the entry requirements for the course indicate any specific preferences.
Hi there,
My name's Jess and I'm from the School of Law at Swansea University. Thought I would jump in here with some university perspective on this - it's a common misconception that you need to study Law at A Level to go onto to study it at degree level, but this is not true. You will need to check with the institutions you are applying to whether they ask for specific A Levels, but at Swansea - as others have mentioned in this thread - it is about your interest in Law, and your ability to analyse, think critically, and be willing to adapt to new challenges.
If you have any specific questions feel free to get in touch :smile:
Jess
Very few universities care about subject combinations and subject. For Law, you'll be fine and for those unis that care you need to research - For example, LSE cares but you'll be fine since you have sociology and psychology https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
You are not at an advantage nor at a disadvantage with certain subjects and yes grades matters more
Reply 6
Law normally doesn't need any specific subjects but it is advised that essay subjects are taken. All your A Levels are essay based so you will be fine.

Hi! Most universities actually prefer that you don’t take Law A Level as it often a very condensed version of Law and is taught very differently to how it is at university. Your subject choice is broad and essay-based, which is perfect to apply to Law!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:

Ur subjects are fine. Yes the grades matter most
Reply 9
:bandit:

Quick Reply

Latest