The Student Room Group

Eyes hurt when I wear my glasses.

My eyes hurt when I wear my glasses. Im short sighted, and bright lights hurt my eyes and give me a headache. So I wear glasses when using my laptop or driving in the evenings. Yet, whenever I wear my glasses to do my work, my eyes hurt and I start feeling nauseous. Is this normal.
Are they new?
I think your prescription for your glasses may not be entirely accurate? Maybe book an opticians appointment and have an eye sight test. This will determine how bad your eyesight is and if your prescription is wrong :smile:
Reply 3
Yes, the glasses are pretty new. I've been asked to wear glasses 6 years ago. But never really did until recently. Even now, it's an on and off case. But ok. Thank you. I'll call the opticians and go from there!
Original post by Anonymous
My eyes hurt when I wear my glasses. Im short sighted, and bright lights hurt my eyes and give me a headache. So I wear glasses when using my laptop or driving in the evenings. Yet, whenever I wear my glasses to do my work, my eyes hurt and I start feeling nauseous. Is this normal.

Ok, um, my eyes DID hurt when I first started glasses. This is probably because your not used to the new vision of it yet. But after some months or days, the pain went away. Not sure of the nauseous part tho.
So what you are saying is that you have only started wearing glasses that you were prescribed 6 years ago? Have you had an eye test since then? If not, you should probably get one to make sure the prescription is still correct.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
So what you are saying is that you have only started wearing glasses that you were prescribed 6 years ago? Have you had an eye test since then? If not, you should probably get one to make sure the prescription is still correct.

Oh no. So 6 years ago I started experiencing difficulties with my eyes. I was prescribed with grasses back then. But never really wore them. I recently, in the last 4 months went to the opticians again as my eyes were getting worse and have been prescribed with a new pair of glasses. I've been wearing these on and off.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh no. So 6 years ago I started experiencing difficulties with my eyes. I was prescribed with grasses back then. But never really wore them. I recently, in the last 4 months went to the opticians again as my eyes were getting worse and have been prescribed with a new pair of glasses. I've been wearing these on and off.

I see. From experience, I usually get used to new glasses within a few days, couple of weeks max. Whenever I've had issued for longer than that, I've ended up needing a new prescription because the previous one was not correct for me. Saying that, I wear my glasses all the time so if you only wear them intermittently, it might take long to get used to them.
Reply 8
I see. From experience, I usually get used to new glasses within a few days, couple of weeks max. Whenever I've had issued for longer than that, I've ended up needing a new prescription because the previous one was not correct for me. Saying that, I wear my glasses all the time so if you only wear them intermittently, it might take long to get used to them.

Ok. I'm definitely visiting the opticians after the suggestions in this thread. Just spoke to my mum about helping me book one. Plus, maybe this time I should try wearing my glasses more often and throughout the day. You're right. I'll try this as well. Thank you!
Reply 9
No, it is not OK. If your glasses prescription is right for you it should not cause eye pain or nausea, it may cause a bit of discomfort but not to the point of pain and nausea.
Sometimes in cases like yours when there is a serious change in prescription we don't give the full correction right away, we correct to a certain level and ask to visit us again in 3-4 months to update the prescription. It is not in order to sell another pair of glasses it is in order to avoid these kind of issues with eye/head aches and sometimes the eyesight even stabilises in a lower prescription if we do so.

I'm an optometrist.

Same for me. I wear glasses all the time & I find whenever I get a new prescription it feels a bit strange at first but I usually get used to them in the first few days. I remember when I first started wearing glasses and with the contrast between wearing them and how my vision was before it felt weird having clear vision for a while afterwards.
The only two pairs I had to get used to are the first pair I was really using a lot when my eyes got really bad. I couldn't get used to it because I developed eye fatigue issues which were corrected only with progressive lenses and the first pair of progressives I had took me a couple of weeks to get fully used to them. Since that pair, every pair I buy I get used immediately or within hours.
I have many pairs in different prescriptions and designs I can wear either without a problem. If the fitting is right you should not have an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest