The Student Room Group

media studies as an a-level?

hello!! i’ve been thinking a lot about whether or not i want to change one of my a levels, and media studies is among a few that caught my eye. to anyone who is taking, or has taken, the course, what kind of things do you actually do?? if there’s any sort of practical work, what does it entail and look like?? do you make anything of your own at any point?? would this a level be in any way beneficial to someone looking towards a career in illustration??
Hello!

I don't know how helpful I am going to be but I did A-Level Media Studies seven years ago now (!!!) and I really enjoyed it. We explored different types of media - film, television, social, magazines etc. - and considered how various groups were represented, target groups and so on. In our first year, if I am remembering correctly, we could create either a television piece. All we had to do was a couple of scenes and then write a reflective report. In the second year, we had to do either a magazine or a radio drama (I think - I'm having a hard time remembering! :confused:) and I did radio. Again, it was a couple of scenes and used sound effects. We also had to look into representations in the media and prepare two case studies (for one of mine I chose the police which was really interesting) which we would choose one to use to answer the exam questions.

For going into illustration, I would say it would absolutely be useful as it gives you a good understanding of how the media works, how to target a specific audience and you do get to be very creative. Even if you don't find it hugely useful, it gives you the UCAS points (I eventually did a degree in Special Educational Needs and Inclusion and am going on to an MA in Social Work, neither of which are linked to Media Studies) and if you think you will enjoy it then I would say go for it. Even though I went down a different path, I don't regret taking it at all and there is no harm in doing something you enjoy.
Original post by sprolo_
hello!! i’ve been thinking a lot about whether or not i want to change one of my a levels, and media studies is among a few that caught my eye. to anyone who is taking, or has taken, the course, what kind of things do you actually do?? if there’s any sort of practical work, what does it entail and look like?? do you make anything of your own at any point?? would this a level be in any way beneficial to someone looking towards a career in illustration??

As someone who is at the end of year 13 right now and waiting for my results, I enjoyed media lots. It's 70% exam based and on my course looked at video games, the newspapers, film, TV, advertising & music videos. The other 30% was making a TV show (opening 3 mins & Website to go a long side). I really enjoyed the course. My advice is to pick subjects you enjoy and don't let others telling you what they think you should do. From my experience i really enjoyed it.

Quick Reply

Latest