The Student Room Group

SQE and law graduates

With the new process being introduced, called the SQE qualification which will replace the GDL and LPC, is it worth having a law degree anymore?

I’ll give some insight into the position I am in right now. I am going to enter clearing/ adjustment so I can go to a London university (KCL, LSE, Queen Mary’s, UCL etc), please note that I am aware some do not do clearing yet I will still phone up and give it a shot. Is it best I stick to law? Which will be harder to get at these universities, or should I do another degree? Given that all students, law graduates or not, will have to do the SQE and pass.
Original post by emgx123
With the new process being introduced, called the SQE qualification which will replace the GDL and LPC, is it worth having a law degree anymore?

I’ll give some insight into the position I am in right now. I am going to enter clearing/ adjustment so I can go to a London university (KCL, LSE, Queen Mary’s, UCL etc), please note that I am aware some do not do clearing yet I will still phone up and give it a shot. Is it best I stick to law? Which will be harder to get at these universities, or should I do another degree? Given that all students, law graduates or not, will have to do the SQE and pass.

I believe the idea is that law graduates will be better prepared to pass the exams having spent 3 years studying the subject?
As is often mooted on TSR that law degrees are pretty useless and you are better off doing non law, then it will be interesting to see the pass rates.
Original post by 999tigger
I believe the idea is that law graduates will be better prepared to pass the exams having spent 3 years studying the subject?
As is often mooted on TSR that law degrees are pretty useless and you are better off doing non law, then it will be interesting to see the pass rates.

What would you suggest?
Original post by emgx123
What would you suggest?

In what sense?
Get into the best uni you can to do a subject you enjoy and then get the best degree possible.
Original post by emgx123

god questions on tsr are ****ing stupid these days

1. you are not going to get into one of the London unis mentioned through Clearing - the chances are incredibly small (i am always happy to be proven wrong, i won't be, but still)
2. you should not be picking a law degree because it saves you a year of studying or because it makes some cookie cutter multiple choice question exam marginally easier to pass. pick the degree you want and have an interest in. this should be elementary these days for anyone who doesn't have overbearing parents
3. it is worth having a law degree if you are interested in... well, the stuff that a law degree covers and how it relates to other disciplines. why are you assuming that no one would ever study law were it not for professional exemptions? barely 50% of law students at the better unis (RGs, etc.) go into law, and the GDL's been around since the 70s
4. if you don't like the idea of studying law at undergrad, you might want to reconsider what you think legal practice is like. most of it is even more boring than the law degree. being given the opportunity to even research a legal issue feels like a godsend after hours of dry procedure/bundling/etc. that's not to say that the law degree is interesting but still. you might wanna reconsider your choice of career if you're reconsidering your choice of law degree
Reply 5
Original post by emgx123

Personally, i have never really understood why someone who had already decided they wanted to practice law wouldn't pursue a law degree at third level if they had this option open to them at a strong uni. Whilst it is true that the academic study of law and the practice of law are different, the benefits of the law degree are grossly underrated. However, few agree with me and law firms don't care about the issue either.

If you feel you would excel in a different degree, that would be your smartest choice as your degree results will be an important factor in obtaining a TC.
Echo sentiments above, surely if a career in law is what you are after then the Law degree gives you the best possible foundation.
Original post by emgx123

As a side note, LSE have announced they will not be in Clearing or Adjustment so it’s definitely not worth phoning them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending