The Student Room Group

Egypt - Sharm el-Sheikh

Taxis and Attractions

So I recently travelled to Sharm el-Sheikh along with a Ukrainian friend of mine for a holiday. I just wanted to share some info in case anyone else may be travelling there. Especially as I hear Easyjet will start flights back to Sharm from Manchester and Gatwick from September.

Anyway, when we first landed and made our way out to the airport doors, we were really ambushed by some Egyptian guys standing inside the airport. They kept on shouting out "taxi" to us and we were like no, but they kept on following us to the queue line where we had to get our luggage scanned.

After we passed through security and headed to the main door. We were so overwhelmed with guys standing outside. Some had boards and others were just like in our faces, with so many questions 'where you go?' or 'where you from?' or I'm good taxi with good price. These guys looked so dodgy! We kept saying no because my friends said in the airport the guys in there like to try and charge more. But I felt so tired by these guys. It was like a trading room only worse when you get out of the airport. The taxi drivers are all in your face and space and all of them were trying so desperately to get the best sell.

We were staying in Naama Bay, and the taxis were trying to charge us like $18.00 (300 EGP). We told these guys where to go and headed to the street. Which is not exactly friendly for public transportation. As we were waiting for a microbus a car pulled up and a guy said are you, girls, ok. We like looked at each other because he sounded American but was Egyptian. Then he showed us his ID badge and said this is his company he owns with his British wife. I think he could see we were a little cautious. He then asked what hotel we were going to stay at and we told him the area Naama Bay (at first). He said you probably were told a high price at the airport. We told him yeah, taxis wanted 300 EGP. He said they will always do that and that is the sad thing about Sharm.

He then said, our company charges a fixed rate from the airport to any hotel in Sharm $13.16 when we checked the currency it was like 210 EGP, then he said, 'but we have special rates on ALL transfers for students - 10% OFF'. He asked us if we wanted to speak to his wife. He phoned her when we got in the car.

When she came on the phone she sounded so British and was really nice. She told us there are no other transfer services in Sharm that think about students and their limited budgets. She said she understood because she studied at UCL in London :thumbsup::smartass:and that's why she said it was a good idea to introduce something for us. She told us they have like a special introductory offer for our trip destination especially, on Viator which we later found out is affiliated to TripAdvisor. She told us the price would be like just $11.90 (190 EGP). from the airport to Naama. We accepted it right away! Later on, we checked out the link they sent us to Viator and could see it was legit.

It was the cheapest price, Mohamed was like so cool with us and acted like a pro for real. He wasn't overbearing like those other taxi drivers in the airport. His wife sounded sweet too. When Momo dropped us off at the hotel (we finally felt comfortable to tell him after like 5 mins). He told us about him and his wife's Facebook page and their website where if we wanted to kinda prebook him or another driver like an Uber we could easily do it through the website or their WhatsApp Business. You get to see all their prices before you decide to go anywhere and if you're a student you get a student discount of 10% OFF and an extra 5% off trips when friends you refer to book take a trip. My friend had lots of her Ukranian friends come to Sharm so travel was GOOOOOOOOD for us! :u:

From here on out, all our journeys were easy and cheap! I swear every taxi guy who saw us on the street would tell us some high stupid prices man, and you just never know whose telling the truth. So we stayed with Swift and never regretted it. I just wanted to share if anyone is headed to Sharm to use Swift because their prices are cheap, you get a student discount and their people treat you well. Not trying to hit on you like those hungry taxi dudes were. If you wanna book with Swift you can WhatsApp them directly on +20 109 973 9101 and they'll give you all the info you need.

Honestly, It felt so easy with these guys and almost like Uber. Everything they say and do is like open. You don't feel like your being conned or having to second guess if the price or what their telling you is legit. OMG! I felt that all the time. The people in the hotel are liars trying to make extra cash with their friends and will try to send you to their friend's souvenir shops in Old Market etc.

BIG LESSON LEARNED!

Example, when we wanted to go to Dahab and the guy in our hotel said he could get us a cheaper price and driver. That joker told us we had to pay an extra 250 EGP to show our papers at the checkpoint out of Sharm on top of the 600 EGP he was charging to take us there so he wanted like 800 EGP to go one-way from us 1600 EGP to pick us back up again!. When we phoned Swift and spoke to Mohamed's wife she told us there are no papers that are chargeable, especially to the tuned amount of 250 EGP to be shown at the checkpoint. She said all you need is your passport with a valid visa stamp, you know the $25 dollar sticker you got at the airport) - that's it! They are just trying to get more money out of you. Then we asked how much they charge and she told us. All the prices are on the website. but we felt kinda bad and stupid because we totally missed that they had it shown on the page!:colondollar:

So Mohamed and his wife are NOT like other tour operators or taxis. No these guys are really great and this really is the best company for travelling with to see Sharm and outside. I know it sounds scripted - but they won't break the student bank/overdraft or loan lol... The discount is for family too, so like if you're not going to Sharm, but your mum and dad are. You would send Swift your student ID for verification etc (eligibility for discount) and they would record it against your name and the name of your parents would be recorded. But it's only for your mum, dad, sister, brother, grandma and grandad.

OH!....yeah Dahab was great a place to visit. Never been before, but we loved spending time there. It was so chilled! Swift charged us 777 EGP for a round trip, yes people that was to go AND come back! - we spent like 5 days there. The total came to 864 EGP, but with our 10% Student Discount, we only paid 777. To go to Dahab its normally like 500 - 700 EGP just to go one way....so guys do the math!

Don't bother wasting your time visiting the Aqua Park in Hadaba. It only has like 4 game slides for adults that are actually working and for kids if you've got like a brother or sister the same. Not everything was open and we regretted even paying the money we did to get in as we spent like 1 hour there and called Momo to come to get us - Totally boring!

Adrenalin beach is now closed also :frown: Government's taken it back

So sorry guys for the long post - I never intended it to be so long.... hahaha

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Really useful information to know - thanks for sharing :biggrin:
Jesus Christ you have a lot to say for sure mate !
I will takje it as legit so helpful.
I thought it was going to be about terrorism.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt/safety-and-security

COVID-19 in Egypt

Based on currently available information, there is a high risk of exposure to COVID-19 in this country. All travellers are advised to avoid non-essential travel to this country.

Individuals entering or returning to the UK from this country will be required to follow additional UK border measures which includes self-isolation for 14 days.

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/71/egypt#COVID-19
Original post by 999tigger

COVID-19 in Egypt

Based on currently available information, there is a high risk of exposure to COVID-19 in this country. All travellers are advised to avoid non-essential travel to this country.

Individuals entering or returning to the UK from this country will be required to follow additional UK border measures which includes self-isolation for 14 days.

Egypt isnt terrorism wtf
Original post by Randomgyal0404
Egypt isnt terrorism wtf

You need to read. I said I thought it was going to be about terrorism.
The UK government banned UK flights there in 2015 due to terrorism and the bombing of a Russian airliner with 227 dying.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34687990

Many other countries also stopped flying their due to the risk. and concerns about secuirty.
That ban was lifted in Oct 2019, so not long ago.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50137471
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/sharm-el-sheikh-flight-ban-uk-airlines-return-flights-passengers-tourists-a9166271.html

I have merely posted the FCO advice and linked to their official pages.
Of more relevance at the moment is their advice in light of covid19.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous370
Jesus Christ you have a lot to say for sure mate !

LOL! 🤣 ..yeah sorry. I did rant on a bit but just wanted to make sure you knew in case you'd never been before.
Reply 7

COVID-19 in Egypt

Nope! City had a lot of police about. But they need to patrol those hungry blue and white taxi guys. There hasn't been any terrorism in Sharm maybe because its got a wall built around it now.

Thanks for the info on quarantine for return to UK that was really useful to know my butt would be in isolation for 2 weeks. I'm actually back in Ukraine with my friend now. Not headed to the UK for a few months, yet. Hopefully qurantine coming from these countries will be over by then.

In Sharm people are wearing masks. They're very aware so when you go to shops before they let you in you have to wear a mask and use the hand sanitizer on the wall otherwise they don't let you in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
The UK government banned UK flights there in 2015 due to terrorism and the bombing of a Russian airliner with 227 dying.

Many other countries also stopped flying their due to the risk. and concerns about secuirty.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/sharm-el-sheikh-flight-ban-uk-airlines-return-flights-passengers-tourists-a9166271.html

Yeah, I got you thought that. But honestly it was very safe. Nothing to worry about. Lots of expats living there.
Original post by simsim75
Nope! City had a lot of police about. But they need to patrol those hungry blue and white taxi guys. There hasn't been any terrorism in Sharm maybe because its got a war built around it now.

Thanks for the info on quarantine for return to UK that was really useful to know my butt would be in isolation for 2 weeks. I'm actually back in Ukraine with my friend now. Not headed to the UK for a few months, yet. Hopefully qurantine coming from these countries will be over by then.

In Sharm people are wearing masks. They're very aware so when you go to shops before they let you in you have to wear a mask and use the hand sanitizer on the wall otherwise they don't let you in.

You need to see it in context I was just pointing iout the historical events.
If they hadnt happened then I guess those tax drivers would have more tourists to go around.
As it is the lifting of the ban was a long time coming, but that doesnt diminish the terrirsum in the north, just Sharm has taken some security measures. The originalk point weas ther ease in which the boimb was smuggled aborad the airliner, hence airlines and governments stopped going.

I was really responding to that comment abouit terroism wtf, when for me its just historical record and the current advice. I expect CV19 has also hammered the tourism industry there. Strange how connected and complex the world economy is.

Do check that second link for when returning as the list of quarantine countries changes. You will probably be reminded at the airpport anyway.
14 days from Ukraine as well.

Maybe the way to avoid is to go and spend a few weeks in an exempt country on your way back.
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/232/ukraine#COVID-19
Reply 10

Yeah, I got you thought that it might be about terrorism. Nah, Sharm was safe so nothing to worry about.
Reply 11
You need to see it in context I was just pointing iout the historical events.
If they hadnt happened then I guess those tax drivers would have more tourists to go around.
As it is the lifting of the ban was a long time coming, but that doesnt diminish the terrirsum in the north, just Sharm has taken some security measures. The originalk point weas ther ease in which the boimb was smuggled aborad the airliner, hence airlines and governments stopped going.

I was really responding to that comment abouit terroism wtf, when for me its just historical record and the current advice. I expect CV19 has also hammered the tourism industry there. Strange how connected and complex the world economy is.

Do check that second link for when returning as the list of quarantine countries changes. You will probably be reminded at the airpport anyway.
14 days from Ukraine as well.

Maybe the way to avoid is to go and spend a few weeks in an exempt country on your way back.
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/232/ukraine#COVID-19

Yeah I know you were just trying to be helpful pointing out the historical events. But honestly Sharm has stepped up its security now. I

Thanks for the info about the Ukraine too. I never knew that! I think you're right. When I do decide to come home I need to go via another exempt country.

Cheers!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by simsim75
Yeah I know you were just trying to be helpful pointing out the historical events. But honestly Sharm has stepped up its security now. I

Thanks for the info about the Ukraine too. I never knew that! I think you're right. When I do decide to come home I need to go via another exempt country.

Cheers!

I think covid is the bigger issue. It must vbe very cheap in Sharm and quiet? Maybe the Russians went back a long time ago.

Do note that any stay off in a non exempt country along the way will make you subject to their restriction. the journey had to be direct or through exempt countries. A stop off in a restricted country will mean you have to isolate on return.
Reply 13
I think covid is the bigger issue. It must vbe very cheap in Sharm and quiet? Maybe the Russians went back a long time ago.

Do note that any stay off in a non exempt country along the way will make you subject to their restriction. the journey had to be direct or through exempt countries. A stop off in a restricted country will mean you have to isolate on return.

Nope not quiet at all! Lots of Ukraines, Italians, expats who live there and Russians mainly.

Advice to countries: Noted with thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest