Should I take a modern language for A level?

Watch
Rixxy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So, I applied to sixth form to do Spanish A level, but I am having second thoughts.

First of all I did the GCSE in Year 9 and got an A* (because my school makes us take 2 gcses every year). But 2 years passed from then, so my Spanish right now is REALLY BAD and I have forgotten all the grammar but still recognise a lot of the vocabulary.

I know the step up to A level is big and I am really scared that I will be behind everyone else who has been studying the language the whole time I was focusing on my other subjects.

I am already fluent in a romance language so I guess that gives me an advantage. But I am taking History and English as well which are really academic.

I feel like I am taking a big risk taking Spanish, what should I do?
ozcult
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hiya, I'm starting year 12 in September too and I'm doing the exact same A-Level combination haha honestly ready to die a little. But other than that, I think you just need to recognise whether during the time you did spanish you enjoyed it - all the A Levels are gonna b hard and require independent work so you gotta enjoy it. You seem to have a flair for languages - so picking it up should be easier than learning it all over again. Maybe try and look through some of your old gcse textbooks and brush up on your grammar before school starts, and watch some money heist or elite on Netflix. If you're not enjoying Spanish like that, try and think of what another option could be for u, and then if Spanish wont work out in September you could switch. Good Luck!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The step up from A level isn't as bad as people say. Especially in languages, they ease you into it because everyone comes in at different levels. As long as you learn vocab and keep practicing through the year, you'll be fine!
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Rixxy)
So, I applied to sixth form to do Spanish A level, but I am having second thoughts.

First of all I did the GCSE in Year 9 and got an A* (because my school makes us take 2 gcses every year). But 2 years passed from then, so my Spanish right now is REALLY BAD and I have forgotten all the grammar but still recognise a lot of the vocabulary.

I know the step up to A level is big and I am really scared that I will be behind everyone else who has been studying the language the whole time I was focusing on my other subjects.

I am already fluent in a romance language so I guess that gives me an advantage. But I am taking History and English as well which are really academic.

I feel like I am taking a big risk taking Spanish, what should I do?
I had a similar experience with a gap of that sort (I finished my French A-level in Y12 and then studied some French modules at university, where almost everybody else hadn't had that gap).

It is definitely difficult, however I mainly found that the first month or so was very challenging and I felt very behind, but after that I was basically up to speed. I didn't really do any practice in preparation for uni either, so I imagine if I had done, it would have taken less than a month to catch up!

Remember, most schools / colleges will let you swap to a different subject early on if it's not working out. You might even be able to ask if you can take four to begin with, and then potentially drop Spanish if it's not working. I would definitely give it a go though!
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Which subject are you hoping to read at University?

I think that Spanish would be a good choice. Do you know which board you would be taking?

I was wondering whether you would find something like this helpful?

https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/112238
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads