The Student Room Group

My premiums have jumped up for car insurance

Just a question for anyone looking for new car insurance has theirs seemed to go up recently or have trouble getting insurance without a black box? I have been driving for just under 3 years and my last years insurance was without a black box for about £800 for the year but coming to get a new quote I can’t find a new insurance without a black box for cheaper than £1000!
Reply 1
Original post by Zikki
Just a question for anyone looking for new car insurance has theirs seemed to go up recently or have trouble getting insurance without a black box? I have been driving for just under 3 years and my last years insurance was without a black box for about £800 for the year but coming to get a new quote I can’t find a new insurance without a black box for cheaper than £1000!

Welcome to the insurance industry.
Yeah after my first year of 0 issue driving mine went up 10%, I had to start writing off cars in accidents before it came down. *shrug*
Interestingly, mine’s gone down to only £380 with 2 NCD (no BB either). I have a cheap insurance group car though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RedGiant
Interestingly, mine’s gone down to only £380 with 2 NCD (no BB either). I have a cheap insurance group car though.

I have a 1.4 eco Corsa with 3 years ncd so It’s really confusing
Mine went up about £20 this year.
But that's how car insurance can be unfortunately
Original post by Zikki

Right so this must be an age thing...

I passed my test last year at the age of 29.. my insurance was £600 for the first year, now I have been driving a year its like £450.. never had a blackbox either.
Original post by M1llionz

I passed my test last year at the age of 29.. my insurance was £600 for the first year, now I have been driving a year its like £450.. never had a blackbox either.

If OP is in their late teens/early 20s, age will definitely have something to do with it. I turned 27 in July so will most likely pass before I'm 28, and the difference I'd pay if I was 18 compared with my actual age is massive. Insurance companies assume age = maturity, so there's less chance of us driving like idiots or being careless and getting into a crash.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
If OP is in their late teens/early 20s, age will definitely have something to do with it. I turned 27 in July so will most likely pass before I'm 28, and the difference I'd pay if I was 18 compared with my actual age is massive. Insurance companies assume age = maturity, so there's less chance of us driving like idiots or being careless and getting into a crash.

Hmm I suppose so, if I had got passed at 17 I would have been a menace to the roads in all honesty.
I assume everyone is talkng about after shopping around. For me every single year the cycle is:

Insurance company puts up premium by £100-200
I do a search and find a quote that is £200-300 cheaper
I phone insurance company tell them I'm cancelling
They offer to match quote I found
I save £200-300.

I'd literally be thousands of pounds down if I just accepted the figures I was given for renewal.
Original post by M1llionz

It's definitely an age thing. I'm 29 and have a big diesel estate and pay like £350 fully comp including NCB protection and legal coverage. I've been driving since 17 and have like 8 or 9 years NCB. My partner is the same age drives a Golf GTTDI and pays about £320 for the year but she only passed about four or five years ago.
Original post by nexttime
I assume everyone is talkng about after shopping around. For me every single year the cycle is:

I save £200-300.

I'd literally be thousands of pounds down if I just accepted the figures I was given for renewal.

This is often how it works, find a cheaper quote and threaten to walk if they don't put it down.

I'd recommend elephant, they've been good for me and cheaper than anything on comparison sites but you have to ring for a quote. No black box either. I've never paid over 800 even straight after passing test.
Original post by nexttime

I save £200-300.

Indeed. Current provider is trying it on with me right now.

The worst part is that I plug my info into comparison sites and MY PROVIDER can cover me for £200 less than I'm being quoted for renewal...

It's actually ridiculous that this bs is allowed, or that they even try it on in the first place. Then again, people must just accept it if they keep doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest