The Student Room Group

How often to moisturise?

I have really dry skin. I’ve been moisturising my face everyday and it’s genuinely been working my skin has shine to it and it’s less dry (thank god, been trying different stuff for ages.

Anyway, my dry skin isn’t just on my face but it’s on my chest, arms and legs too and I would like to moisturise them too but doing it everyday will make my moisturiser run out really fast and it will be expensive to keep up with.

So how often should I moisturise my body? Would 3 days a week be enough?
Yes
Reply 2
Thanks 😊
If money is an issue, or you don't want to rub chemicals into your skin, you can always use cooking oil (yes, the type you fry your chips in!).

On my face, in the summer, I use sweet almond oil - it's slightly thinner than olive/vegetable oil and absorbs easier. (Don't use it if you're allergic to nuts.) In the winter, I use olive oil - being thicker, it acts as a barrier cream.

Note: If you do decide to use oil, my advice is not to use it if you're going out into strong sun, my reasoning being that, if it fries chips, it'll fry your skin!! :-)

You can also buy raw butters (shea/cocoa/etc) which aren't expensive, and either use them as they come, or use them to make your own moisturiser.

I use both the pictured brands.

Also, drink more water!!

Hope this helps. :-)
Reply 4
Original post by watchtheday
If money is an issue, or you don't want to rub chemicals into your skin, you can always use cooking oil (yes, the type you fry your chips in!).

On my face, in the summer, I use sweet almond oil - it's slightly thinner than olive/vegetable oil and absorbs easier. (Don't use it if you're allergic to nuts.) In the winter, I use olive oil - being thicker, it acts as a barrier cream.

Note: If you do decide to use oil, my advice is not to use it if you're going out into strong sun, my reasoning being that, if it fries chips, it'll fry your skin!! :-)

You can also buy raw butters (shea/cocoa/etc) which aren't expensive, and either use them as they come, or use them to make your own moisturiser.

I use both the pictured brands.

Also, drink more water!!

Hope this helps. :-)

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jones448
I have really dry skin. I’ve been moisturising my face everyday and it’s genuinely been working my skin has shine to it and it’s less dry (thank god, been trying different stuff for ages.

Anyway, my dry skin isn’t just on my face but it’s on my chest, arms and legs too and I would like to moisturise them too but doing it everyday will make my moisturiser run out really fast and it will be expensive to keep up with.

So how often should I moisturise my body? Would 3 days a week be enough?

You should moisterize your body as often as it needs to be (if you are moisturising it enough it shouldn't get dry ever). However, because it sounds like you have an all-round dry skin problem, I'd also recommend looking into your broader washing routine to make sure that you aren't doing things to cause your body to be excessively dry (such as soaking for too long in very hot water or washing with cheap harsh shower gels).
I would also recommend making sure that your diet and broader lifestyle isn't contributing to the problem (for example make sure that you are getting plenty of water, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and omega oils in your diet).

Also, be mindful of what ingredients are in your moisturizers; ones with a lot of alcohol or perfumes in them can actually be quite drying and irritating to dry skin because they will evaporate quickly. If your skin is very dry then you'll want to look for more oil-based moisturizers.

Quick Reply

Latest