Mock exam results to be used as A Level 'safety net' in 'Triple Lock system'

Watch
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Several news outlets including the BBC are reporting that mock exam results will be used as a safety net for students whose grade has been moderated down.This will allow students to use their mock result, their assigned grade, or choose to resit.

Unfortunately there is a lot we don't know. It is not yet clear which mock grades will be used, what the reporters actually mean by 'mock grades' or the procedure for subjects where no mock exam was sat.

More information is expected to be released by Education Secretary Gavin Williamson tomorrow.

Links to full articles:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53746140
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus...ficial-results

We know this is really worrying and just adds to the uncertainty and stress that students have experienced this year. Hopefully this will be to the benefit of students and will mean more students get the university place they wanted .

Please try not to panic too much this evening - more information will be released tomorrow and we will be here to keep you updated and informed, and will provide support to anyone who needs it. Please look after yourselves.

Update 1: TES have stated 'If the results students receive are lower than their grades in mock exams an appeal can be made to the exam board for them to be raised.' This suggests that the mocks are going to be used as evidence for appeal rather than in lieu of the CAG grades.

Update 2: The DfE statement seems to confirm this

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...d-gcse-results

Students could accept their calculated grade, appeal to receive a valid mock results, or sit autumn exams to ensure the achievements of young people are recognised.

Ofqual has been asked to determine how and when valid mock results can be used to calculate grades.

Update 3: Further updates on this mock appeal system will be detailed early next week - Full statement here
Last edited by Charlotte's Web; 1 month ago
HolaNeinoa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This whole thing is just a mess. There are literally students who have cheated in the recent mocks. There are those who don’t even try since it isn’t the real thing. And surely the teacher assessed grade would have been the same as the mock grade a student got or even higher.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HolaNeinoa)
This whole thing is just a mess. There are literally students who have cheated in the recent mocks. There are those who don’t even try since it isn’t the real thing. And surely the teacher assessed grade would have been the same as the mock grade a student got or even higher.
Not always- but it's definitely possible the CAG could be higher.

It's possible they mean CAGs rather than mocks.
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
I have to say I fully agree with you. There is also the risk of schools/teachers fabricating mock grades too which is a possibility. It may well be that they do revert to the teacher assessed grade, but we won't know until tomorrow when we get more info.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Calling a 'mess' is too kind to the government.

Hopefully you'll get the results you need on Thursday
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WHAT

I mean I'm not complaining because I'd get into uni then but how does this make sense? English mocks are not at all standardised like prelims, cheating is rampant, and there's no way to prove it's your own work to an exam board. And mocks are often graded harshly or sat as a 'baseline' to identify areas of weakness....

EDIT: also, how will they do this in time for Thursday? Will it be an appeals process? What happens if I get rejected from my firm but then my grades are boosted? Well done BoJo...
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a catastrophe of the highest proportions. This year will be remembered for sure.
Cloudiii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is even happening right now
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
WHAT

I mean I'm not complaining because I'd get into uni then but how does this make sense? English mocks are not at all standardised like prelims, cheating is rampant, and there's no way to prove it's your own work to an exam board. And mocks are often graded harshly or sat as a 'baseline' to identify areas of weakness....
Unfortunately not much about this makes sense. I think in this unique situation the most important thing is making sure you get onto the course you want to be on. Hopefully if anything it means that more students will get the places they wanted.
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very VERY bad decision.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WHAT

Yup. Not a lot to work on at the moment to see exactly what they mean by mock...

Press officers at the DfE should have embargoed this until tomorrow when the Secretary of State is actually in a position to give technical detail on this... I'd imagine a lot of people can't sleep right now.
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
(Original post by JockstrapAttack)
This is a catastrophe of the highest proportions. This year will be remembered for sure.
Indeed - although we will still do our best to support. Hopefully we will have clarity tomorrow and students will get the places they deserve. Part of me does wish I had chosen to work instead though!
ichigomilk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well this is confusing..
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
(Original post by ichigomilk)
well this is confusing..
It absolutely is - it seems a very strange decision to leak such vague information at 10pm but a proper press release will come tomorrow.
Daniel100499
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know people who never sat the mocks as their college went into lockdown before mocks happened
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right, well this changes absolutely everything.

This is so chaotic. I'm sorry to every student currently going through this absolute rollercoaster tonight!
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Unfortunately not much about this makes sense. I think in this unique situation the most important thing is making sure you get onto the course you want to be on. Hopefully if anything it means that more students will get the places they wanted.
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Yup. Not a lot to work on at the moment to see exactly what they mean by mock...

Press officers at the DfE should have embargoed this until tomorrow when the Secretary of State is actually in a position to give technical detail on this... I'd imagine a lot of people can't sleep right now.
If it means more people get the grades they want I suppose I support it

But I agree - I wish they would stop reporting/releasing stuff with basically no details. It just creates more stress and uncertainty, for students and for universities :facepalm:
ameliabw1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What the **** is going on
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WHAT

EDIT: also, how will they do this in time for Thursday? Will it be an appeals process? What happens if I get rejected from my firm but then my grades are boosted? Well done BoJo...
Yes, all of this.

There's not even consistency of marking within schools, in most cases. And all schools run differently. And honestly it wouldn't be impossible for a school/student to lie.

On another thread it's been suggested they mean CAGs rather than mocks, which would make slightly more sense.
Student+
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do they even mean by mocks? Will yr 12 mocks count or is it the yr 13 ones? I hope that it’s year 12 cuz I actually revised for that as it would have decided my UCAS predictions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.5%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.11%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.5%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
9.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.52%

Watched Threads