Mock exam results to be used as A Level 'safety net' in 'Triple Lock system'

Watch this thread
ilililili
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Not every A Level student will be attending a university and these grades will serve many other purposes than that.
Yeah so this announcement wouldn’t affect them
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JGoosey2002)
Yeah so this announcement wouldn’t affect them
That's difficult to tell when we don't actually know what the announcement is yet. The media have revealed very little and the announcement is coming tomorrow.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If they get it in their mocks they probably deserve it. Don’t most schools do last years paper with last years boundaries as mocks anyway? Also ok ppl will bring up cheaters but ppl cheat in the real thing. Ppl who cheated in the mocks would also have pushed their peers down the CAG rankings anyway so it’s very hard to get rid of that
Some schools use one paper only. Some schools use all papers. Some have teachers marking their own classes, some have teachers swapping papers. Some will have as close to exam conditions as possible, some will be done in a classroom, where copying or a bit of conferring may be easier.

Some students won't have sat a mock this year.

It is much easier to cheat in the mocks than in a real exam- for starters it's much easier to find the past paper online. When coming up with CAGs, if mocks were very out of line with other assessment, teachers would have taken this into account.
ilililili
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Some schools use one paper only. Some schools use all papers. Some have teachers marking their own classes, some have teachers swapping papers. Some will have as close to exam conditions as possible, some will be done in a classroom, where copying or a bit of conferring may be easier.

Some students won't have sat a mock this year.

It is much easier to cheat in the mocks than in a real exam- for starters it's much easier to find the past paper online. When coming up with CAGs, if mocks were very out of line with other assessment, teachers would have taken this into account.
You think teachers will assume cheating if you go up a few grades in mocks from class tests. I just revised :/

Still don’t agree that anyone is unfairly disadvantaged by this. If you are a near miss, the uni has no obligation to let you in and you knew this. Sure ppl might not get in who would have but it’s not like those ppl actually had a right to be let in (I may have worded that harsher than I meant it)
Banshee123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The more U think about this the more crazy it seems.
Mocks arent always secure and teachers can tell you whats on the paper or give big hints on what to study covering only part of the spec. You now essentially get 2 bits at the cherry.

In contrast, private candidates resits and homeschoolers who get no calculated grade are still ignored, lose a year because unis wont wait and have to actually do the work the current 2020 student have avoided. That means a resit student could easily have done twice as much work than someone who gets an A off the back of mocks. They have been really let down.
I rate this post fr.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You think teachers will assume cheating if you go up a few grades in mocks from class tests. I just revised :/

Still don’t agree that anyone is unfairly disadvantaged by this. If you are a near miss, the uni has no obligation to let you in and you knew this. Sure ppl might not get in who would have but it’s not like those ppl actually had a right to be let in (I may have worded that harsher than I meant it)
It's not that we (I am a teacher) will assume cheating, but if someone then goes back down after mocks, or a mock is wildly out of line with other grades, then we would have considered that when calculating CAGs. CAGs take into account a lot of different factors, so they're less likely to be hugely distorted by cheating.

I agree to an extent about near misses- but say someone got ABB last year in actual exams. They can't get new grades this year. Their course wants AAB. If someone gets in with AAB on the back of "mocks" done in fairly soft conditions in school, whilst the ABB candidate misses out, I think that's unfair.

The point is you can't draw comparisons between people's mocks because they are done in different conditions- therefore, basing who gets into uni on mocks is not a good system.

Also, realistically, the government and the media have created an impression that most near miss students will be given a place this year.
Cryptographic
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Coming soon: Uni A-level requirements by year.

2019/21: AAA will do, 2020 students, better have that A*A*A to be competitive with the real grades.

It's massively rubbish for those whose schools haven't lied and cheated hard enough to overly inflate their marks..
account28723
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I desperately, desperately hope that Gavin Williamson loses his job for this. I hope his career never recovers and he ends up penniless.
Last edited by account28723; 2 years ago
Banshee123
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JockstrapAttack)
I desperately, desperately hope that Gavin Williamson loses his job for this. I hope his career never recovers.
Same. He should’ve lost his job a long time ago...
bored_user:)
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
**** IT! Just **** IT!
Banshee123
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
**** IT! Just **** IT!
What were ur mocks
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Banshee123)
What were ur mocks
A*A*A*

But that doesnt mean that I just go on and get those grades! I need to ****ing deserve them like everybody else!
Banshee123
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
A*A*A*

But that doesnt mean that I just go on and get those grades! I need to ****ing deserve them like everybody else!
Lol you’ll be well off tho. Congrats!
Last edited by Banshee123; 2 years ago
account28723
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
A*A*A*

You have literally nothing to worry about.
1st superstar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
What the **** are you lot complaining about. There is no negatives. This either benefits you or doesn’t affect you. Why do ppl on tsr love to cry???
Because this decision is a load of BS and is not fair on other cohorts or schools who make their students do "harsh mocks" or schools who have ridiculously high grade boundaries which are sometimes 10-20% higher then the ones for last year's exams. This will disproportionately give private schools ,well performing state schools and Grammar schools a huge advantage ihmo as they are more likely to give their pupils more support for their mocks (some schools might literally tell people the EXACT questions that will come up on the mock, pupils can cheat, if another class sits the mock before you you can literally ask "oh Stephanie what came up in the History mock", "Arthur did you do the Spanish reading mock? please tell me what came up" and memorise all of the answers. The amount of TSR threads I've had to report because they were asking "what came up in paper X of 2019?" is shocking). I thought that the whole of this standardisation system was so that this year's grades "could be in line with other year's grades" and that people wouldn't be disadvantaged? Also there's the issue that students who have a tutor might be given the answers to the mock paper in advance.

There ARE negatives of being allowed to use your mock grade as your real grade. Different schools do mocks if different ways and what about employers and uni's who may not take this year's grades as seriously because of this and SQA's decision?

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Because if students can get into uni on the back of their mocks, it makes a mockery of the system-
😂 The non-intended pun
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JockstrapAttack)
You have literally nothing to worry about.
(Original post by Banshee123)
Lol you’ll be well off tho. Congrats!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You dont ****ing get it! There would be absolutely no value for these grades!!

I worked my arse off and even if I get A*AA I would be happier than everyone getting their inflated mock grades!!
Banshee123
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I worked my arse off and even if I get A*AA I would be happier than everyone getting their inflated mock grades!!
Don’t u already hold an offer at kcl? What everyone else gets shouldn’t make a difference to u rly? Sorry if I’m mistaken.
Super_M8rio
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

High key ****ing me off. Mans sitting here with ccc in mocks I beg u shup.
1st superstar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Super_M8rio)
High key ****ing me off. Mans sitting here with ccc in mocks I beg u shup.
Exactly sick of some of these A/A* students complaining.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Guys keep this polite please. Everyone is worried but don't take it out on each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads