Watch
This discussion is closed.
hello654321
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello,

I am a bit lost on what MSc to do as I am actually quite conflicted on what I enjoy and what I don't. Currently, I am doing a biomedical sciences degree. One of my main goals is to work at a pharmaceutical company, such as GSK or AZ, and help to develop treatments using my scientific knowledge of human physiology, and my laboratory skills, I would love to use machinery and multiple techniques to help discover new treatments and ideas.

I am researching many masters degrees, mainly in London. I am confused as to what which degrees would suit me best. I am leaning more towards drug development degrees as I have read what modules are included and they have seemed to spark my interest. For example, I can make use of proteins for therapies, and use computer modelling. On the other hand, there are some degrees in chemical and biochemical engineering that use machinery and techniques I am intrigued by, however, the heavy maths has put me off slightly. Engineering degrees in those two disciplines however do look at how small scale lab items can be produced largely, but I may be going down the wrong path?

Maybe I am looking at the wrong MSc's altogether! I'd greatly appreciate any help. Please do advise me!
ChemGirl95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hello654321)
Hello,

I am a bit lost on what MSc to do as I am actually quite conflicted on what I enjoy and what I don't. Currently, I am doing a biomedical sciences degree. One of my main goals is to work at a pharmaceutical company, such as GSK or AZ, and help to develop treatments using my scientific knowledge of human physiology, and my laboratory skills, I would love to use machinery and multiple techniques to help discover new treatments and ideas.

I am researching many masters degrees, mainly in London. I am confused as to what which degrees would suit me best. I am leaning more towards drug development degrees as I have read what modules are included and they have seemed to spark my interest. For example, I can make use of proteins for therapies, and use computer modelling. On the other hand, there are some degrees in chemical and biochemical engineering that use machinery and techniques I am intrigued by, however, the heavy maths has put me off slightly. Engineering degrees in those two disciplines however do look at how small scale lab items can be produced largely, but I may be going down the wrong path?

Maybe I am looking at the wrong MSc's altogether! I'd greatly appreciate any help. Please do advise me!
It’s a far way from London, but have a look at the MSc Advanced Pharmaceutical Manufacturing at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. I’m biased as I lecture for the course but it sounds like it ticks a lot of your boxes!
hello654321
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemGirl95)
It’s a far way from London, but have a look at the MSc Advanced Pharmaceutical Manufacturing at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. I’m biased as I lecture for the course but it sounds like it ticks a lot of your boxes!
Thank you for the reply! I took a look at this and it does seem interesting however I won’t be able to live in another city due to funding etc, do you know any similar degrees in the London or surrounding region?
ChemGirl95
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCL have a MSc in Pharmaceutics, KCL have one in Pharmaceutical Technology and London Met have one in Pharm Science and Drug Delivery Systems
hello654321
Rep:
?
UCL have a MSc in Pharmaceutics, KCL have one in Pharmaceutical Technology and London Met have one in Pharm Science and Drug Delivery Systems
Amazing thank you will check them out
hello654321
Rep:
?
Could I ask the difference between these degrees and drug design (UCL)/biopharmaceuticlals (KCL)? I would like a bit of biomed knowledge (if that is a thing) included in these degrees, not just the technical side! thank you for the help so far i do appreciate it.
ChemGirl95
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hello654321)
Could I ask the difference between these degrees and drug design (UCL)/biopharmaceuticlals (KCL)? I would like a bit of biomed knowledge (if that is a thing) included in these degrees, not just the technical side! thank you for the help so far i do appreciate it.
I'm no expert in any of these degrees by any means. The drug design is likely to be more medicinal chemistry than biomed as most drug design is actually chemical synthesis (protein drug therapies make up a very small fraction of total drug therapies currently). Biopharmaceuticals is likely to be more biomed and novel drug delivery systems - in reality it will be less directly applicable to the big pharma companies but will probably be more biology/protein based.
hello654321
Rep:
?
I'm no expert in any of these degrees by any means. The drug design is likely to be more medicinal chemistry than biomed as most drug design is actually chemical synthesis (protein drug therapies make up a very small fraction of total drug therapies currently). Biopharmaceuticals is likely to be more biomed and novel drug delivery systems - in reality it will be less directly applicable to the big pharma companies but will probably be more biology/protein based.
ah okay that makes more sense. I am going to have to go with something that will help me more in the future than what I think I like to be honest. thanks for the help, hope i can contact you if i need any more advice?!
Wulaula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ulster university do a masters in pharmaceutical science, and it’s distant learning, 1 year full time
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (52)
24.19%
Unhappy (56)
26.05%
Conflicted (107)
49.77%

Watched Threads