Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, so basically i failed my first year of uni and then this year i was retaking my first year modules so in september i will be in my second year of uni. however i don’t want to return i dislike my course and the uni but the thing is i have strict african parents who think education is the only way of life. i also feel as tho i wasted a whole two years of my life now. another thing is i don’t know what i will do if i drop out since i don’t work and have barely any experience. but honestly i don’t want to get into another year of uni i really don’t know what to do💔💔💔
GremlinIAMH
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe see if you can get an apprenticeship?
Keels25
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to hear this - do you think you could be happier on a different course?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Keels25)
Sorry to hear this - do you think you could be happier on a different course?
honestly i think education as a whole just isn’t for me.
Keels25
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
honestly i think education as a whole just isn’t for me.
In that case - I know it’s easier said than done - but you have to put your own happiness first. Perhaps research some of your options - look for a job even if just temporarily so that you can let your parents know you have a plan if that makes sense. If you carry on doing something that makes you unhappy for the sake of it it will just be a waste of time and your mental health could even suffer as a result. Obviously don’t rush into a decision, but maybe you should start trying to explain how you’re feeling to your parents. You could also speak to your uni about how you are struggling to see if they have any suggestions? Your careers service might be able to help you with finding alternatives?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems as though uni life is not for you. If you drop out how will you explain to your parents?
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
I was in a similar situation. I went to a university that I ended up not liking it at all and I was very unhappy. I dropped out on my first year of uni and spent 2 years trying to figure it out what I truly wanted, taking time to do what I like and being happy. I am a student at the University of East London now, and I am very happy with the uni and the course. My advice is to take time to do what really makes you happy, maybe University right now isn't for you. Wish you all the best! 😊
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
education isnt the only route to success and being rich. you will be surprised
look into dropshipping, trading (to a degree).
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Normally I'd say put your happiness first don't do something you don't want to do etc. but realistically, with the job climate like it is and everything that's going on, will you be able to find a job?

I strongly think you should look to consider transferring your degree either to another uni or to online distance learning like with the open university. That way you'll still be working towards something (that you've already spent 2 years doing and spent a lot of money towards already) and it takes wider pressures of not having anything to do/not being able to find a job away. You can still do this with distance (online) learning from the comfort of your own home and look for jobs whilst you do this.

You need to think back at why you dedicated a whole other year of your life to make up for the failed first year. Obviously for two years you felt you wanted your degree. Don't be deterred by the initial fail marks. If you want a degree you can do it but at times the environment we're in can totally change our experience.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, so basically i failed my first year of uni and then this year i was retaking my first year modules so in september i will be in my second year of uni. however i don’t want to return i dislike my course and the uni but the thing is i have strict african parents who think education is the only way of life. i also feel as tho i wasted a whole two years of my life now. another thing is i don’t know what i will do if i drop out since i don’t work and have barely any experience. but honestly i don’t want to get into another year of uni i really don’t know what to do💔💔💔
change course, how many modules you fail in first year? usually it's not repeating first year or even part-time because it's still wasting 1 whole year. Do some research and see if there a course you enjoy and may worth looking at other university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.93%
No (178)
78.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed