The Student Room Group

Would this set alarm bells ringing for you?

There is someone I've been chatting to online and have yet to meet in person, and one of many things they said to me was this:

Trust in me, I won't let you down.The one I want, you, I have found.Believe in me, don't drift apart..There is only you in my heart.Trust in me and my word..Don't take to heart the things you heard..Believe in us, our honesty, our trust.

That sounds great to me personally, but does that sound fake and something to set alarm bells ringing to you? :dontknow:
Personally I’d find it a bit odd if someone sent me a poem like that, especially if we haven’t met but I’m not one for extra smushy messages in relationships. It is a really cute poem though, so if you like that kind of thing, this does seem really sweet! I would just be generally cautious of someone I’ve only talked to online in case they aren’t who they say they are etc
Reply 2
Original post by QueenOfShadow
There is someone I've been chatting to online and have yet to meet in person, and one of many things they said to me was this:

That sounds great to me personally, but does that sound fake and something to set alarm bells ringing to you? :dontknow:

god, yes, he sounds like an obsessive virgin stalker. delete his number, lmao
It would make me cringe, but that's just me. If you like that sort of thing then it could be sweet? :smile: Idk, I'm not one for that sort of thing.
(edited 3 years ago)

Caution as the more they go on about trust it makes you wonder why plus what other people are saying.

It also reminded me of. Btw it sounds like a S Asian thing to say or maybe just me.

Reply 5

OTT for someone you've never met in person. And saying 'trust in me' twice is like the old 'trust me, I'm a doctor' or 'trust me, the cheque's in the post' routine; why the (over)emphasis on that particular quality? Methinks they protest too much!
Creepy. They probably already have a shrine dedicated to you in their basement
Normally when someone comes on to you too strong, too early on, before meeting, they are a scammer.
Has he told you how an uncle has left him $14.4 million US dollars and how it's in escrow and he is looking to transfer it out of his country?
Or will it be the one where the taxi that took him to the airport drove off with the bag with his tickets, passport, money and credit cards in?
Reply 8
This would put me off anybody who kept saying 'Trust in me...'

https://youtu.be/fZY8jUuEzJQ
He’s playing you hun
Hai
That fact there’s no spacing in between the full stops suggests this was copy and pasted from somewhere, either online or they had this pre-written and ready to send out. Either way it comes across really dogey in my opinion. Nobody casually speaks like that and all words of the actual poem itself all very manipulative connotations. “Trust in me and my word” Don’t take to heart the things you heard” “Believe in me” “Dont drift apart”
this guy is the definition of over the top, it sounds pretty dodgy imo
Sounds like a song lyric.

Either way, that’s not something I would keep to be honest. I met and married someone online and never once did we mention trust. It just happened as trust is a natural instinct where you have to be wary of who you entrust it to. This dude, is over emphasising which may suggest he has something to hide.

Please be careful.
It would depend on the context.

If you were talking about cheesy love poems before this was sent, then no, it'd probably be funny.
If you were talking about doing something independent like starting uni, travelling, starting a new job, going out to meet new friends etc, then yes. That would be a huge red flag that this person was trying to keep you and wanted to make sure you wouldn't go too far away from them so they could be in control.
If it was completely random, I'd probably ask some questions to figure out the intention behind it.

TL;DR Check the context. If it's cheesy and funny, then no. If it's random or came from your independence, get the hell out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending