The Student Room Group

Are AS important?

So you know the situation~
Tomorrow is results day~(Very very nervous)
The results are for AS Levels tomorrow
What if I fail?
I don't mind redoing it in autumn or 2021. But it costs a lot!! and I can't take another really stressed out day this year!
So are AS important?
No they’re not at all important in my experience. I did 1 AS level because it was compulsory for my school at the time (not anymore though), but because not everyone has the chance to do AS levels universities aren’t allowed to factor it into giving people offers because it would give those who were given the opportunity an unfair advantage. My AS has never once had any relevance and I’m still very annoyed I was made to waste a year doing it😂
Reply 2
Original post by Sophie.cerys
No they’re not at all important in my experience. I did 1 AS level because it was compulsory for my school at the time (not anymore though), but because not everyone has the chance to do AS levels universities aren’t allowed to factor it into giving people offers because it would give those who were given the opportunity an unfair advantage. My AS has never once had any relevance and I’m still very annoyed I was made to waste a year doing it😂

Thanks for your take on it!
So I guess I wasted one year on it too :bawling::biggrin:
Original post by $hea
Thanks for your take on it!
So I guess I wasted one year on it too :bawling::biggrin:

You didn’t waste a year as you need your AS knowledge to do alevels, the only difference is some schools make you do the official AS qualification, others don’t...
Reply 4
Original post by Becca216
You didn’t waste a year as you need your AS knowledge to do alevels, the only difference is some schools make you do the official AS qualification, others don’t...

Oh okay, I get it now. And it's true that you need your AS knowledge before A levels.
Thanks.
Original post by $hea
Oh okay, I get it now. And it's true that you need your AS knowledge before A levels.
Thanks.

Well alevels include AS knowledge, so when you sit alevel exams, yes, you’ll need to have AS knowledge. Most subjects e.g. geography the AS knowledge has no affect on the alevel knowledge (e.g you don’t need to know the stuff in year 12 to be able to do year 13, in other subjects e.g. maths you need Year 12 (AS) knowledge in order to be able to learn the year 13 content. Hope this makes sense :smile:
I did As Geography.. needed an A got a B because I thought I had 30 minutes left and actually I had 5 minutes .. they aren’t that important and most people re sit regardless because you having nothing to loose so I wouldn’t worry too much
Original post by $hea
Thanks.

Yeah I was made to choose 4 a levels, and then drop one at the end of year 12 - the one we dropped we had to do as an AS level, so was useless as wasn’t going on to do the full A-level😊👍🏼

Quick Reply

Latest