Where to ask Universities if they will still accept you?

Watch
serymn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you just missed the entry requirements for your place at first choice university (ie needed a bbb but got a bbc) how should you contact the university to ask if they would still take you? Would you do it through the clearing phone number or just the general number or through email? Or would you just have to actually go through clearing?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by serymn)
If you just missed the entry requirements for your place at first choice university (ie needed a bbb but got a bbc) how should you contact the university to ask if they would still take you? Would you do it through the clearing phone number or just the general number or through email? Or would you just have to actually go through clearing?
you don't contact them, they'll have had your results for a few days so if it's unsuccessful on track then it's only worth contacting them if you are getting an appeal, resiting in October and want to ask if they'll defer your place or want to be considered for a different course.
gilliewolf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
you don't contact them, they'll have had your results for a few days so if it's unsuccessful on track then it's only worth contacting them if you are getting an appeal, resiting in October and want to ask if they'll defer your place or want to be considered for a different course.
Or you could just phone up and start crying
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gilliewolf)
Or you could just phone up and start crying
They're human of course so they might feel sorry for you but that won't get you anywhere I'm afraid.
serymn
Rep:
?
It's just that I'd seen a lot of advice sites saying it would still be worth it to contact them and ask.
Also, my course at my first choice uni has gone to clearing, do you know if that would make them more likely to offer me a place even if I got one grade below the requirements? Would it be worth calling them in that case?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's just that I'd seen a lot of advice sites saying it would still be worth it to contact them and ask.
Also, my course at my first choice uni has gone to clearing, do you know if that would make them more likely to offer me a place even if I got one grade below the requirements? Would it be worth calling them in that case?
They have the option to offer you the place through track if you miss your offer anyway, every decision through track is manual so a person would have looked at your results and made a decision to take you or not.
Hence, why it's not worth ringing if your track says unsuccessful. If you miss by 1 grade you've got a good chance, they'd rather take someone who missed their offer a bit who picked it as their firm choice then picked it through clearing.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ringing a university is totally pointless. If you have been rejected look elsewhere. Nearly all universities accept students with dropped grades so they might have accepted you. Last year 40% of the students going to university had at least 2 grades below their offer.
gilliewolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're human of course so they might feel sorry for you but that won't get you anywhere I'm afraid.
Although my friend last year didn’t get in through ucas .. called up his firm and had a convo with them and they let him him
serymn
Rep:
?
Although my friend last year didn’t get in through ucas .. called up his firm and had a convo with them and they let him him
Do you know how they contacted them? Through the clearing phone number or something else? Just want to know in case I do have to call them for any reason and I don't know which would be the correct route.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was that UCL or somewhere very prestigious. Universities dont generally change their mind unless there are extenuating circumstances. Somewhere like UCL would have filled their places already.
gilliewolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know how they contacted them? Through the clearing phone number or something else? Just want to know in case I do have to call them for any reason and I don't know which would be the correct route.
I’ve got no ideal pal but I’m in the same boat. Even if I don’t get in I’m gonna give them a call because I’ve got nothing to loose
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like some on here have said, if your firm rejects you, then that's it unfortunately. They will have had your grades for a few days and will have already weighed up whether to be lenient and take you.

However, if you say they're in clearing already, unless you've significantly underachieved, I'd be very surprised to see them reject you if you've only dropped a grade. I'd say it's highly improbable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (53)
25.36%
Less motivated (156)
74.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed