ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
gcse results day is upcoming and i see that oxford give the same weighting value of A*, and grade 9= grade8. So even if i get a grade 8 in maths and unhappy , is there any point in retaking it for a 9 as that was my goal?
Also, as oxford is a top uni wouldnt they sort of value a 9 more as MANY applicants will have 8 and 9s. e.g. a straight grade 9 applicant would be preffered over a straight grade 8 one. Plz help
Omgcobbly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
while GCSE grades are definitely looked at by Oxford it is by no means the only thing they look at, and its more dependent on what grades you got in comparison to your school than your grades as just numbers. (for example a 7 at a low achieving state school is much harder to get than a 7 at a high achieving private school so that will be taken into account).
If they say they value 8 and 9 the same, they would value them the same. as I said, GCSE results are only a small piece of the puzzle and used to measure improvement/attainment from then till you apply.
there really isn't a point in retaking; that's usually only available for those who have failed not those who got A* level. having an 8 instead of a 9 won't really damage your chances
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i don't really see the point in retaking for a chance to get a grade 9, an 8's still really good. oxford won't be looking at only a candidate's gcse results but their entrance test score etc.
PlzNerfAsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSE results will have little to no value this year for Oxbridge. Basically none at all.
PlzNerfAsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
gcse results day is upcoming and i see that oxford give the same weighting value of A*, and grade 9= grade8. So even if i get a grade 8 in maths and unhappy , is there any point in retaking it for a 9 as that was my goal?
Also, as oxford is a top uni wouldnt they sort of value a 9 more as MANY applicants will have 8 and 9s. e.g. a straight grade 9 applicant would be preffered over a straight grade 8 one. Plz help
They’re not gonna look at GCSE results for our cohort - they’re worth absolutely nothing anymore
ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PlzNerfAsh)
They’re not gonna look at GCSE results for our cohort - they’re worth absolutely nothing anymore
ok ty guys!!!! so I assume application will only be based on a level predictions, interview performance, personal statement and teacher referral?
Aung
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do IAL give UMS marks?
matscigal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I wouldn't stress especially as I am sure Oxford will choose to discount GCSE grades for your year's cohort as the way they are working is not fair! They already consider your school contextually if you were to have sat the exams but now if you are a high achieving pupil at a poorly performing school your results might not reflect that & they will be very aware of this!
Yac542
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But I recall hearing somewhere that the proportion + no. of A* s form an important part in forming the initial shortlist.
Do you think they will just give our GCSE results a lower weighting due to the circumstances our cohort had to face??
Yac542
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
matscigal PlzNerfAsh
Do you think the GCSE results of this cohort will be given less weighting in the initial shortlist then??
They have historically used the proportion and no. of A* as a factor in the shortlisting process... how would it work for our cohort??
matscigal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yac542)
matscigal PlzNerfAsh
Do you think the GCSE results of this cohort will be given less weighting in the initial shortlist then??
They have historically used the proportion and no. of A* as a factor in the shortlisting process... how would it work for our cohort??
Yes definitely especially as this year they are even more affected by the performance of your school- not you!
I’d imagine it would mean they would place more significance on any admissions test/ submitted work but it’ll be a decision made centrally by departments. They might decide to invite more people to interview (or be more lenient with your admissions test score to get an interview if you went to a disadvantaged score - they do this already!). It’s only speculation but I reckon they’ll just take the school you went to into account more!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed