Turn on thread page Beta

Nearby unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many people do you think in your year applied to a uni near or kind of near home, and which uni is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anyone in my year applied to a nearby uni, except for me, only Exeter and York are more than about 40 miles from home.

ReputationRep:
    4 people from my college went to UEA which is about 45 mins from home

ReputationRep:
    For me, a few people from my school applied to UWE and/or Bristol as it's about 45 mins from home.

ReputationRep:
    About a quarter of everyone I know applied to mainly London uni's with the likes of holloway and surrey filling the empty gaps.
    A lot of people tend to go to Kingston since thats the local uni to my college.

ReputationRep:
    most people i know applied to cardiff or swansea <im from s. wales originally>...but then cardiff is a good uni, so they can be forgiven for that!

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    Several people in the year above me went to Cambridge APU (30ish mins on the train) and a girl from my year went to UEA, though that's still over an hour away. The only unis near me are those in Cambridge and the Peterborough branch of Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Sussex as my second choice, which is about 30min away by car.

"Why *hello* parents; yes, I will have some lunch and here is my washing, thank you kindly..."

ReputationRep:
    well, living in london, most people applied to london uni's such as UCL, Kings, queen mary, etc. i think there are only about 4 people (including myself) that have applied to uni's outside london. i cant take london, cant wait to leave. :hello:

ReputationRep:
    People apply for uni's near home might be a filler for the 6 choices. Some of my friends apply to near by uni, as they want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any real unis within 2 hours of where I live. But I'm one of only two people in my year applying to anywhere outside Scotland, and the other guy is only applying to Liverpool as a filler, and because his course isn't one that's done in a lot of places.

ReputationRep:

Kings, Westminster, UCL, Imperial, were the main local ones people applied for at my sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    All my choices are local. As I live in the suburbs of Glasgow it would be a bus/train into town which gets me to Strathclyde. If Glasgow it would be a few stops on the subway.

Edinburgh is different. Id need to get a train to one station then get off there onto a "fast" one to the capital. This would be too tiring I think.

ReputationRep:
    All my choices are local. As I live in the suburbs of Glasgow it would be a bus/train into town which gets me to Strathclyde. If Glasgow it would be a few stops on the subway.

Edinburgh is different. Id need to get a train to one station then get off there onto a "fast" one to the capital. This would be too tiring I think.

ReputationRep:
    loads applied to surrey and the lower level (no offense) london universities.

ReputationRep:
    I began choosing universities based on discounting those within a 100 mile radius of my home.

ReputationRep:
    I've replied to my offers and both my insurance and first choice are over 200 miles away.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni's are they?

ReputationRep:
    I go to Salford, which is 4-5 miles away from me, my sister goes to Manchester which is 2-3 miles away. At college two went to Salford, one went to MMU the other went to East London. Nobody else out of 15 got offers anywhere but then I doubt they even passed the course. One or two perhaps went to Bolton.

I think at least half of the people at Salford come from Greater Manchester, Chesire, Lancashire or Merseyside.

ReputationRep:
    Not many people in my school liked the idea of staying in Bristol for another 3 years, so not many people applied to Bristol Uni.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.