Becka24601
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello!

I know for all of you tomorrow is a huge day and there is loads of uncertainty with everything going on but I am hoping that my experience will reassure you that whatever happens, your results are not the be all and end all.

I got fairly average GCSEs, ranging from B to E and left school with a B and a D (A-Level), C (EPQ) and a D (AS Level). Not knowing what I wanted to do, I worked for a few months in a local Tourist Information Office which I did not enjoy and then an apprenticeship came up at a local special needs school which I applied for and got and really have never looked back since, I had found what I was meant to do. On completing that, I applied to study Special Educational Needs and Inclusion at university and this year came out with a First Class and an offer to do an MA in Social Work, which considering my exam results, I never, ever dreamt would happen.

Anything is possible. There is no need to rush into making any decisions just yet. If you go to university this year then that's fine, if you wait ten years then that's fine too. We all go at our own pace and trust me, it's worth it!

Best of of luck to you all, please message me if you would like to
deciduous
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Becka24601)
Hello!

I know for all of you tomorrow is a huge day and there is loads of uncertainty with everything going on but I am hoping that my experience will reassure you that whatever happens, your results are not the be all and end all.

I got fairly average GCSEs, ranging from B to E and left school with a B and a D (A-Level), C (EPQ) and a D (AS Level). Not knowing what I wanted to do, I worked for a few months in a local Tourist Information Office which I did not enjoy and then an apprenticeship came up at a local special needs school which I applied for and got and really have never looked back since, I had found what I was meant to do. On completing that, I applied to study Special Educational Needs and Inclusion at university and this year came out with a First Class and an offer to do an MA in Social Work, which considering my exam results, I never, ever dreamt would happen.

Anything is possible. There is no need to rush into making any decisions just yet. If you go to university this year then that's fine, if you wait ten years then that's fine too. We all go at our own pace and trust me, it's worth it!

Best of of luck to you all, please message me if you would like to
This is very reassuring, thank you so much for posting this. I also want to try and achieve a career in helping people so this was extremely helpful in the way that it showed opportunities and paths available towards my goal. Thank you so much and wish you the best too.
Becka24601
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by deciduous)
This is very reassuring, thank you so much for posting this. I also want to try and achieve a career in helping people so this was extremely helpful in the way that it showed opportunities and paths available towards my goal. Thank you so much and wish you the best too.
My pleasure! Amazing! Do you know what kind of direction you want to take yet? If it would help I'm happy to discuss over PM. I hope you got the results you wanted today 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed